Roll of heraldic authorities?

General Heraldry subjects
Isaac M Schneider

Roll of heraldic authorities?

Postby Isaac M Schneider » 10 May 2018, 16:46

Greetings to all,

I've been wondering if there is (or ever was) a roll of arms of heraldic authorities, past and present?

This seems like the most obvious roll of arms ever needed, but somehow I doubt it's been done. Maybe we could make one here?
I would most like to know if past authorities had their own arms: the Austrian, Russian, Spanish, various German authorities etc.

Thanks and Best regards,
Isaac M. Schneider, Fellow,
IAAH Vice President Heraldic Education,
Jerusalem

Chris Green

Re: Roll of heraldic authorities?

Postby Chris Green » 10 May 2018, 17:46

A very good question, but not an easy list to put together. Remember that until Germany was unified there were dozens (hundreds?) of small principalities, duchies, margravates, etc etc, each of which, at least in theory, might have its own herald. The Emperor might try to keep control centrally, but the Protestant rulers (and pretty much the Roman Catholic ones too) weren't having any interference. Then there were the various parts of Italy. As to the free cities, each, once again at least in theory, have its own heraldic authority, even if it was only one man in an office in city hall.

By all means discuss the pros and cons here, but I shall start a new thread where we can contribute any relevant information we have: titles of Kings of Arms/Heralds, when active, rolls of arms produced etc.

http://amateurheralds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1418
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “General Heraldry”