Arms of High Commissioners for Palestine & Trans-Jordan

General Heraldry subjects
Arthur Radburn

Re: Arms of High Commissioners for Palestine & Trans-Jordan

Postby Arthur Radburn » 03 Nov 2018, 13:59

Iain Boyd wrote:However, with all the maritime references I doubt that his brother would use these arms.
No, I doubt the brother, Sir Alan, would have used them. As they were Scottish, and Sir Alan was a third son, he wouldn't have had an automatic right to arms and would have had to matriculate, with due and proper differences.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Jeremy Fox

Postby Jeremy Fox » 04 Nov 2018, 09:41

One could assume that General Cunningham's arms would have included at least the shakefork, generic to his family, and quite likely the mullet seen in his brother's arms, as that appears to be a difference retained by a cadet branch.

Similarly, given that Battershill's family seem to be from Cornwall or Devon, his arms might well have been a variant of "[Az,] a saltire crossed between 4 owls [arg.]" commonly used by the West Country tribe of Batteshill/Battishill/Batshull/etc.

Battishill 1a.jpg

Of course, it is the exact nature of the differences that provides the interest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 04 Nov 2018, 10:10

In the absence of the arms of Sir William Battershill, here is his likeness:

Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 04 Nov 2018, 10:29

Sir W Battershill had one child, a daughter, Jane Elizabeth, who married Major Michael Charles Norman D'Arcy, whose arms were:

The College of Arms emblazonment was done at some date between 1967 and 1980, during Brooke-Little's tenure as Richmond Herald. As Miss B married Major D'A in 1951, one would have expected the College of Arms emblazonment to include the Battershill arms as an inescutcheon (she being an heiress) if Sir W B was armigerous.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Isaac M Schneider

Postby Isaac M Schneider » 06 Nov 2018, 09:10

Iain Boyd wrote:Slightly off topic, but I do like Viscount Cunningham of Hyndhope's arms with all the maritime references - especially the compartment of waves.

Iain Boyd

That is a rather lovely compartment, caught my attention right away!
Isaac M. Schneider, Fellow,
IAAH Vice President Heraldic Education,
Jerusalem

Isaac M Schneider

Postby Isaac M Schneider » 06 Nov 2018, 09:31

Thanks Chris and Arthur for the amazing detective work. So Battershill is looking like a no-show :(. But Cunningham I am hopeful about. Would his arms not appear in connection with his GCMG? There is a chapel associated with it, surely..

Another uncertainty is the arms of Sir Arthur G. Whuchope.. The one I found was the only one listed in Fox-Davies's armorial families under the surname, but that doesn't ascertain the connection.
Isaac M Schneider wrote:
6.) Sir Arthur G. Wauchope (1931-38);
*(only ones listed under Wauchope, but not certain they are his..)*
arms: azure, two mullets in chief and in base a garb or.
crest: a garb or. (F-D, Heraldic families).

Thanks again, one and all, for the input and interest!
Jerusalem

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 06 Nov 2018, 12:01

As Sir Arthur Wauchope was Scottish, he wouldn't have had an automatic right to arms. He would have had to apply to matriculate a differenced version of the Wauchope stem arms. If he did so, they ought to be in Reid & Wilson's Ordinary of Arms (Vol 2) which covers grants and matriculations between 1902 and 1973. So, for that matter, might Sir Alan Cunningham's arms, if he had any. Unfortunately, Vol 2 of the Ordinary doesn't seem to be available online.

Incidentally, Sir John Chancellor's arms were a Lyon Office matriculation in 1923. Here is an emblazonment from the Armorial of Zimbabwe and Rhodesia :
Chancellor - LL 1923.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Jeremy Fox

Postby Jeremy Fox » 06 Nov 2018, 13:56

Blazoned as "bordure engrailed of the third" but shown as "of the second." Or am I being more than usually obtuse?

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 06 Nov 2018, 14:06

Jeremy Fox wrote:Blazoned as "bordure engrailed of the third" but shown as "of the second." Or am I being more than usually obtuse?
No, you're quite right. The blazon in Fox-Davies' Armorial Families (1929) gives the bordure as "of the second", so this appears to be a typo in the Armorial of Zimbabwe & Rhodesia (or in the source the compiler copied it from).
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Isaac M Schneider

Postby Isaac M Schneider » 07 Nov 2018, 08:20

Arthur Radburn wrote:Incidentally, Sir John Chancellor's arms were a Lyon Office matriculation in 1923.

Is the bordure engrailed supposed to be encircling the entirety of the shield? I though it would cut off at the chief. Or is this because of it's standing as a differentiation?
Jerusalem

Return to “General Heraldry”