World Chocolate Day

General Heraldry subjects
Arthur Radburn

World Chocolate Day

Postby Arthur Radburn » 07 Jul 2018, 15:16

To mark World Chocolate Day today (7 July), some chocolate-related heraldry from around the world.

An 18th-century chocolate pot, made in China, bearing Robinson arms.

An 18th-century chocolate cup, also made in China, bearing MacGregor arms.

A trade card issued by a well-known Swiss confectioner, depicting the arms of Zurich and others.

A trade card issued by a well-known English confectioner, depicting the arms of Lord Nelson.

A tin of chocolates issued to Australian troops for Christmas 1915, bearing the Australian arms.

The arms of Archbishop Gabriel Abegunrin of Ibadan in Nigeria. A cocoa bean features as a charge, and the shape of the shield appears to have been inspired by one too.

The arms of a Canadian confectioner, granted by the CHA in 2005. The shield design was inspired by the interior of a chocolate box; the crest is a cocoa tree; and the reindeer supporters allude to the fact that the festive season sees great demand for the company's products.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Iain Boyd

Re: World Chocolate Day

Postby Iain Boyd » 07 Jul 2018, 16:49

Very interesting, Arthur, especially the last two items.

A pity I was not in a position to celebrate yesterday.

However, my wife and I have already decided to go out to Lower Hutt (an adjacent city to Wellington) later today for a hot chocolate. Several of the local cafes are taking part in a mid-winter hot chocolate fest where they produce a 'fancy' chocolate drink.

Regards,

Iain

Return to “General Heraldry”