Heraldic wildlife

General Heraldry subjects
Arthur Radburn

Heraldic wildlife

Postby Arthur Radburn » 03 Mar 2019, 12:12

To mark World Wildlife Day today (3 March), some arms which feature wildlife, which are depicted (fairly) naturally rather than in highly stylised heraldic form.

Switzerland : the canting arms of the city and canton of Bern, depicting a bear (13th/14th century).

England : the London School of Economics' arms, featuring a beaver (1922).

New Zealand : the arms of the Wanganui municipality, the sinister supporter being a tuatara, a reptile which is unique to New Zealand (1955).

Namibia : the Gobabis municipal arms, which have an elephant for a crest and a kudu and a gemsbok (ibex) as supporters (1966).

Canada : the arms of the University of Fraser Valley, which bear a hummingbird and are supported by two blue herons, with a sturgeon swimming in the compartment (2017).
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Iain Boyd

Re: Heraldic wildlife

Postby Iain Boyd » 05 Mar 2019, 07:09

Very interesting. Thank you, Arthur.

However, I could not work out what the 'green things' in base were.

It appears that they are (according to the website of the Canadian Heraldic Authority) 'vines leaved Vert'.

Otherwise, the arms are very attractive.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 05 Mar 2019, 09:22

Iain Boyd wrote:... I could not work out what the 'green things' in base were. It appears that they are (according to the website of the Canadian Heraldic Authority) 'vines leaved Vert'.

Fraser Valley has several vineyards, but the oldest dates back only to 1991. The micro-climate gets much less rain than Vancouver and resembles that of northern France/southern Germany. I am not sure however if the vineyard proprietors would recognise the vines depicted in the arms.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 05 Mar 2019, 11:46

The UFV arms are certainly very attractive; almost tranquil in design. I don't know that the vines are necessarily meant to be grapevines, though.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Return to “General Heraldry”