American Heraldry Society Forums

General Heraldry subjects
Cameron Campbell

American Heraldry Society Forums

Postby Cameron Campbell » 07 Sep 2019, 11:33

Update please. And if no update is possible, can we be informed if they will ever be active again?
Also, if the holdup is whether the legacy posts can be imported to the new forums, then may I suggest you consider starting over from scratch?

Chris Green

Re: American Heraldry Society Forums

Postby Chris Green » 07 Sep 2019, 15:35

Why are you addressing this request to us?
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Iain Boyd

Postby Iain Boyd » 07 Sep 2019, 21:16

Probably because someone on this forum may be able to assist!

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 07 Sep 2019, 21:49

.... then may I suggest you consider starting over from scratch?

"You" in this context can only mean us since it is us who Cameron is addressing. How can we "start over from scratch"?
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Cameron Campbell

Postby Cameron Campbell » 08 Sep 2019, 13:22

Mr. McMillan is a member of this forum. And was, or perhaps still is, the president of the AHS. I think that it might be possible for some members of the IAAH to be members of the AHS.
If my post is irritating or irrelevant, please feel free to delete.

Cameron Campbell

Postby Cameron Campbell » 08 Sep 2019, 13:26

Also, in the past, one of the issues has been the inability of the new forum software to accept the "legacy" posts of the old forum software. I am just suggesting that we may have to give up that hope, and just start the forums from scratch (no legacy posts available).

Mark Henderson

Postby Mark Henderson » 08 Sep 2019, 15:05

Unfortunately, the "forum" as a medium, has been surpassed by the technology of social media, such as Facebook.
Regards,

Mark Anthony Henderson
IAAH Fellow : Former Design Assistance Request Team Artist

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 09 Sep 2019, 01:26

The issue is that the firm we hired to update the forum to meet current IT standards did an unacceptable job and we've been tied up with legal and financial considerations on how to move forward. Don't ask me, because I have no idea what these were or why it had to be done, but the IT experts said it did.

I'm more frustrated than anyone else with this state of affairs, but even more so with having to repeat over and over that when and if we have news on this front, we will let people know. My preferred solution for the forum at this point is to accept the reality (as stated by Mark Henderson) that forums like this one have largely been marginalized by Facebook and other social media platforms, just as usenet discussion groups like rec.heraldry were marginalized by the various online fora.

The real problem is not the forum, it's that our ability to process new memberships, receive dues, etc., was all tied into the same website restructuring.

As I said, when there is news, we'll let people know.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 09 Sep 2019, 06:34

Thank you Joseph. There is of course an AHS Facebook group where members can go to seek enlightenment.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=american%20heraldry%20society&epa=SEARCH_BOX
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Michael F. McCartney

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 09 Sep 2019, 10:54

Only two hopefully useful things I would add to what's been said ready -
" The AHS website (minus the Forum) is still there, with much useful material - e.g. the AHS "Guidelines" and the Roll of historical American arms and (with a little looking) the series of articles that Joe wrote about the arms used by a number of past US Presidents, among others.

* And the text (without artwork) of much of the content of the old Forum is still readily available online, though you can't post new material or respond to what's there -- essentially a "read only" archive. While thr link between the AHS home page and the archived Forum text is broken, if you Google "American Heraldry Society Forum" and click on that URL (not the homepage URL) you should be able to read it. There is a ton of interesting discussions, but as noted the posted artwork isn't there (at least not that I can find) except for links to elsewhere on the web, some few of which are still live.
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Return to “General Heraldry”