Grants and registrations in 2019

General Heraldry subjects
Arthur Radburn

Grants and registrations in 2019

Postby Arthur Radburn » 08 Jan 2020, 17:13

To start off our discussion topics for 2020, a small selection of arms that were granted or registered by heraldry authorities around the world during 2019.

Canada (Canadian Heraldic Authority) : the arms of the Canadian Society of Mayflower Descendants. The ship "evokes" the Mayflower and the escallops refer to the Pilgrim Fathers.

England (College of Arms) : an honorary grant to Lawrence K. Casey jr of Texas USA. His English connection is that his mother's grandfather, Edwin Boultbee, was an emigrant from England.

Flanders (Flemish Heraldry Council) : the arms of Pierre Joniaux. The principal charge is a de-mining (i.e. landmine clearance) suit, which must surely be rare, if not unique, as an heraldic charge.

Latvia (State Heraldic Commission) : the Silu family arms. The linden leaves flanking the shield are specified in the blazon.

Lithuania (Lithuanian Heraldry Commission) : the municipality of Kirnaiciai. The charge is a "straw garden", which is a long-established feature of Lithuanian folk art.

Scotland (Court of the Lord Lyon) : the arms of William McGhee. The charges on the fess appear to be tipstaves.

South Africa (Bureau of Heraldry) : Muhammad Masoom Bagdadi. Although the blazon describes the star and crescent simply as 'Vert', in this rendition they are formed by Arabic inscriptions.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Re: Grants and registrations in 2019

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 08 Jan 2020, 18:25

Arthur Radburn wrote:
South Africa (Bureau of Heraldry) : Muhammad Masoom Bagdadi. Although the blazon describes the star and crescent simply as 'Vert', in this rendition they are formed by Arabic inscriptions.

Some would say that this achievement is an example of self aggrandisement given that the armiger is the grandson of a store keeper. When I first saw this achievement I thought that is was that of an exotic Prince!
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry
http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 08 Jan 2020, 22:19

Did the SABofH really grant Mr Bagdadi supporters?! If so then my opinion of that body has sunk to one point above bucket shop.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 09 Jan 2020, 08:22

Chris Green wrote:Did the SABofH really grant Mr Bagdadi supporters?! If so then my opinion of that body has sunk to one point above bucket shop.
The supporters are indeed part of the registered achievement of arms. This is the first time that they have been registered with personal arms since 2004. At one time there was quite a strict policy as to who could register supporters, but it looks as though it has been relaxed or abandoned.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Return to “General Heraldry”