General Discussion! .... DNA

General Heraldry subjects
Peter Harling

General Discussion! .... DNA

Postby Peter Harling » 12 Nov 2012, 14:46

I could not find a suitable heading for this thread!

I found an interesting discussion on the FB Scottish Heraldry page, which has prompted me to enquire about the various societies who are involved in DNA projects. Not specifically which society, but how do these DNA projects work? How do they relate to people who died hundreds of years ago. I must admit I know nothing of these projects, can anyone explane to me in layman's language just how this DNA investigation works?

Regards .............. Peter
Regards Peter Harling
IAAH Fellow

Ton de Witte

Re: General Discussion! .... DNA

Postby Ton de Witte » 12 Nov 2012, 15:55

I do not know the specifics but as I understand it people from certain areas of the world have DNA sequences specific to those areas. If such a sequence is present in the DNA of the person/family which is researched then one can assume that the ancestors of such a person/family came from such an area.

Sideline I saw something similar in a program on TV that retraced the voyage of the Beagle of Charles Darwin. They were in Australia and there was a group of Aboriginals who claimed that they had lived in a certain area for a very long time but could not prove that. However they had a story that they had also European blood because certain members of the group had, and certain ancestors also had, blond hair which is unusual. DNA samples were taken and it was found after a few months that they had indeed west European DNA sequences but further research was needed to pinpoint where exactly in Europe.
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Chas Charles-Dunne

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 12 Nov 2012, 17:48

I am very much in two minds about DNA testing. I can see the benefits in criminal cases, but I do not necessarily agree with it's use.

There does seem to be a great lemming-like rush by some (mainly in the States) to use DNA testing to prove some link to Scotland or Ireland. What we never hear of, is the broken families that the testing has revealed.

A friend of mine developed Huntington's chorea or as it is now called Huntington's disease. It is genetic, so his five children were tested. They were all free of the disease - because he was not their father. As it turned out, none of them had the same father. One can moralise all one likes, but the fact remains that he is dying alone in a hospice.

If people are going to use DNA testing, then they should be prepared for any and all outcomes.
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

Peter Harling

Postby Peter Harling » 12 Nov 2012, 20:44

I had never thought of that Chas. Sad case!......... Interesting Ton, thanks.
Regards .......... Peter
Regards Peter Harling
IAAH Fellow

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 14 Nov 2012, 22:00

I read that some if not most of the nobility are hesitant about it. I do understand (perhaps being an American myself) the desire of Americans to establish an ethnic identity besides just white.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 15 Nov 2012, 05:44

Ryan Shuflin wrote:I read that some if not most of the nobility are hesitant about it. I do understand (perhaps being an American myself) the desire of Americans to establish an ethnic identity besides just white.

I very much doubt whether there has ever been a poll of "the nobility" (whose? English, Scottish, Italian, Spanish, Scandinavian?) about this. And if there were I very much doubt if they would respond. Who needs to establish an "ethnic identity" anyway? Is the idea to stun one's friends over the dinner table with the news that one is 0.00001% Aztec (possibly)?
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 15 Nov 2012, 16:08

I don't think really anyone is stunned, perhaps some Americans have tried too impress you. As far as for why people feel the need for ethnic and cultural identity, it would take the work of a professional in the social sciences to adequately explain it, but I think it has more to do with wanting to belong, than to impress anyone.

Kathy McClurg

Postby Kathy McClurg » 17 Nov 2012, 13:27

In my Father's family -- The proper genealogy documentation has been done for a branch who can trace ancestry to Ireland and another with the same name who can trace ancestry to Scotland.

Multiple living male line descendants of these branches got tested to try to see if there was evidence the two lines had a common ancestor. This has been proven. so -- DNA and documentation combined can provide further evidence of family genetic ties as either supporting or "narrowing" evidence. Given the DNA, the known documentation, the known dates and locations -- the family genealogists are confident the lack of documentation should be found in Scotland during the time of the covenantors. In all probability we will never "find" the link -- but we have solid evidence there is one and people in the family concentrating on the area and timeline.

Of course, one must be prepared for all outcomes and be willing to accept them. For example, if my brother and I didn't know we were adopted and he participated in the DNA project.. that could have been a bit of a shocker... :roll:
Be well,
Kathy

Return to “General Heraldry”