The Duchess of Cambridge

General Heraldry subjects
Chas Charles-Dunne

The Duchess of Cambridge

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 14 Nov 2012, 10:40

I do not know exactly when this happened, but the Duchess of Cambridge has been granted a supporter -

From the Royal Warrant
“To the dexter the Lion as borne and used as a Supporter by Our Dearly Beloved Grandson His Royal Highness Prince William of Wales Duke of Cambridge and to the sinister a Hind Argent unguled and gorged with a Coronet of Our Dearly Beloved Grandson’s degree Or”

Taken from this site -http://www.dukeandduchessofcambridge.org/the-duchess-of-cambridge/titles-and-heraldry/coat-of-arms-0
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

steven harris

Re: The Duchess of Cambridge

Postby steven harris » 14 Nov 2012, 13:49

I like it. Has Michael Middleton (Catherine's father, whose arms she uses) been granted a crest or motto of his own?
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 14 Nov 2012, 14:04

Strictly speaking the arms were not actually granted by the College of Arms but assigned by the Sovereign under Her Royal Warrant. In effect, she has gone over the head of the Earl Marshal and the Lord Lyon.
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry
http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 14 Nov 2012, 20:25

Has Michael Middleton (Catherine's father, whose arms she uses) been granted a crest or motto of his own?

I asked York Herald about Mr Middleton's arms when I visited the College of Arms in September. York told me that Mr Middleton had specifically requested the College not to answer any questions about his arms or show anyone an illustration of them. The College was happy to agree to this.

I can understand his reluctance. He and his wife are private citizens. Their eldest daughter is to be the centre of attention not them. Sadly he cannot prevent the media focus on parts of his younger daughter's anatomy.

For anyone who raises the "but Letters Patent are for anyone to read" herring naiant rouge - York explained that LPs are not public documents, it merely means that the recipient of the LP can show it to anyone he or she wishes - or not. Letters Close were intended for the recipient only "destroy after reading".
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

steven harris

Postby steven harris » 14 Nov 2012, 20:59

Chris Green wrote:York explained that LPs are not public documents...

Is the same true in Scotland? I would think that something called the "Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland" would, by name, be open to public inspection. Likewise with the "Public Register of Arms, Flags and Badges of Canada".
Steven A. Harris, Fellow

GJKS

Postby GJKS » 14 Nov 2012, 23:29

That emblazonment, as far as I'm aware, depicts the marital arms of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, not just Kate alone.

That quote from the Royal Warrant ...
“To the dexter the Lion as borne and used as a Supporter by Our Dearly Beloved Grandson His Royal Highness Prince William of Wales Duke of Cambridge and to the sinister a Hind Argent unguled and gorged with a Coronet of Our Dearly Beloved Grandson’s degree Or”
makes no mention of the Duchess of Cambridge, only her husband. I think you will find that the sinister supporter also belongs to William as a Duke of the blood royal. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard of a Royal Duke having only the one supporter - has it ever occurred?

It would be interesting to know if Kate can in any way display her own arms alone with the same supporters.
Regards,
Geoff

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 15 Nov 2012, 05:18

steven harris wrote:
Chris Green wrote:York explained that LPs are not public documents...

Is the same true in Scotland? I would think that something called the "Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland" would, by name, be open to public inspection. Likewise with the "Public Register of Arms, Flags and Badges of Canada".

Sorry, I can't help with Scotland or Canada. Perhaps someone else has the answers.

For my part I cannot see why the College of Arms cannot publish illustrations and blazons of all new grants of arms. The material must be available digitally. The practical problems seem to be twofold: they need to obtain permission from each grantee to publish anything about their arms on the College website (recent grants page, newsletter, etc), and some (most?) of the Heralds are not interested. York was grateful to me for giving him permission to use my recent LPs on the website, but said that he had to chase his colleagues for material (apparently he is solely responsible for the website).

I suspect it all comes down to finance. As the College's only sources of funds are fees and the occasional legacy, there is simply not the money to employ someone to create a Public Register.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 15 Nov 2012, 13:59

This from the Lyon Office website:

The Public Register is open to personal inspection in the Court of the Lord Lyon, HM New Register House, Edinburgh, EH1 3YT.

A search fee is charged for each entry inspected.

The office is open to the public from Monday to Friday between 10am and 12.30 pm and between 2 pm and 4 pm.

The Index and Entries in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland, from 1672 up to about 100 years ago, may also be viewed on the ScotlandsPeople website. While searching the Index is free of charge, there is a fee to view the image for each entry.

The ScotlandsPeople site is http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and the fee for Lyon Register is £10 per document viewed.

Much of the Canadian register is also online, free, at http://archive.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/main.asp

On the question of letters patent vs. letters close, I believe York is mistaken about the "destroy after reading" nature of letters close. The seal would of course be destroyed in opening the document, but since the purpose of letters close was often to confer some privilege or give authority for carrying out some action, destroying the document would be destroying one's proof of entitlement.

As to LPs, it seems to me that who is entitled to see them is defined in the salutation. English grants of arms begin with "To all and singular to whom these presents shall come," which is just about the most public formulation imaginable. If the document is intended only for the eyes of the grantee and those with whom he chose to share it, I would expect a salutation more along the lines of "To all whom these presents do or may concern," or even "To John Dexter Doe, Esquire" by name.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

steven harris

Postby steven harris » 15 Nov 2012, 14:07

Chris Green wrote:York told me that Mr Middleton had specifically requested the College not to answer any questions about his arms or show anyone an illustration of them. The College was happy to agree to this.

I might remind Mr Middleton, and all other armigers, that in the end the sole purpose of arms is identification. To have arms granted, then to have said arms squirrelled away and shown to no one defeats their very reason for being entirely.

In the case of Mr Middleton specifically, if he finds the bearing of arms such an inconvenience than perhaps he should have been advised to respectfully turn down Her Majesty’s offer of a grant. Surly Her Majesty could have simply granted arms to Kate in her own right (suo iure), which could have then been impaled with William’s all the same.

GJKS wrote:It would be interesting to know if Kate can in any way display her own arms alone with the same supporters.

An interesting question, indeed! If I had to guess, I would think that as a princess of the realm and an HRH, that she could use supporters without having to include her husband’s impalement. Perhaps, that that case, she would use two hinds.
Steven A. Harris, Fellow

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 15 Nov 2012, 14:16

On the question of letters patent vs. letters close, I believe York is mistaken about the "destroy after reading" nature of letters close. The seal would of course be destroyed in opening the document, but since the purpose of letters close was often to confer some privilege or give authority for carrying out some action, destroying the document would be destroying one's proof of entitlement.

Sorry if my post seemed to suggest that York made the "destroy after reading" comment. He didn't. That was my interpolation.

As to LPs, it seems to me that who is entitled to see them is defined in the salutation. English grants of arms begin with "To all and singular to whom these presents shall come," which is just about the most public formulation imaginable. If the document is intended only for the eyes of the grantee and those with whom he chose to share it, I would expect a salutation more along the lines of "To all whom these presents do or may concern," or even "To John Dexter Doe, Esquire" by name.

But that is reading the salutation, which has remained unchanged for centuries, with modern eyes. Since the original of the LP is delivered to its recipient, not posted in a public place such as the door of St Paul's Cathedral, it is clearly intended that the recipient shall have the right and authority to decide who shall read it, since it becomes his property. The College of Arms merely has a copy of the text on file, so there is no legal requirement on them to reveal its contents.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “General Heraldry”