The Duchess of Cambridge

General Heraldry subjects
Jeremy Kudlick

Re: The Duchess of Cambridge

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 15 Dec 2012, 15:42

Ryan Shuflin wrote:I wonder though, if the bill fails in one realms would the change be enacted in the remaining realms, or would they have to start over in order to consider separation? After all, one may support changing the succession, but only if all commonwealth realms do it.

I would anticipate that HM will either:
  • advise her Governors General that she will reserve her right to grant royal assent; or
  • direct her Governors General not to grant royal assent until all necessary legislation in all Realms has been passed.
This will avoid any chance of different lines of succession among the Realms. I believe that steps have already been taken behind the scenes to prevent that from happening.
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow
Semper Patriam Servire Praesto

Peter Harling

Postby Peter Harling » 15 Dec 2012, 16:14

I just have that feeling that if the 'establishment' have decided that this is the way we should go regarding the succession. Then that is the way we will go.... no ifs or buts!
Regards ........... Peter
Regards Peter Harling
IAAH Fellow

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 15 Dec 2012, 23:33

Jeremy Kudlick wrote:
Ryan Shuflin wrote:I wonder though, if the bill fails in one realms would the change be enacted in the remaining realms, or would they have to start over in order to consider separation? After all, one may support changing the succession, but only if all commonwealth realms do it.

I would anticipate that HM will either:
  • advise her Governors General that she will reserve her right to grant royal assent; or
  • direct her Governors General not to grant royal assent until all necessary legislation in all Realms has been passed.
This will avoid any chance of different lines of succession among the Realms. I believe that steps have already been taken behind the scenes to prevent that from happening.

This would be entirely unconstitutional in all the realms. The queen can neither advise nor direct her governors general to do anything. She does as her ministers advise her, and the GGs do as their ministers advise them. She might consult privately with the ministers of her various realms and offer her views on the matter, but she will ultimately acquiesce in ministerial advice. If they advise her to assent, she will, and if they advise her not to, she won't.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Jeremy Kudlick

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 16 Dec 2012, 02:38

I was under the impression that HM was the Sovereign of all 16 Realms, and that the Governors General and Lieutenant Governors were her representatives and could act on her behalf within their jurisdictions, while she could reserve the right to grant royal assent and perform other functions if she so desired. In fact, the Heraldry Society of Canada had to petition HM directly in order to add "Royal" to the name of the society; that function is still reserved for HM. And aren't the ministers in the Realms still her ministers, and the governments are also hers? Or am I missing something?

Perhaps some of our associates from the Realms can help. I really am curious as to how this works.
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 16 Dec 2012, 05:36

... she[HM The Queen] could reserve the right to grant royal assent and perform other functions if she so desired ...

While that might theoretically be true, HM The Queen is a constitutional monarch. JMcMillan's recent post says it all.

The difficulty for most non-British people (and for most British people too, though we are perhaps less likely to be perplexed by it), is that the UK has no written constitution. It is thus not clearly set out in one place precisely what the Monarch's role is, unlike here in Sweden for example.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 16 Dec 2012, 09:25

Yeah, I am surprised about how easy it is to change such a fundamental part of 16 governments constitution.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 16 Dec 2012, 10:45

The Duchess is apparently related to toffs after all and not exclusively of the hoi polloi:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/kate-middleton/9747412/Duchess-of-Cambridge-discovers-blue-blood-in-her-own-family.html
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Jeremy Kudlick

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 16 Dec 2012, 11:45

Chris - thanks for clearing up my confusion. It appears certain functions remain solely within HM's prerogative, such as the granting of the "Royal" designation to a company or society, while most, if not all, administrative functions have been transferred to the GGs, LGs, and Commissioners.
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 16 Dec 2012, 12:03

Chris Green wrote:The Duchess is apparently related to toffs after all and not exclusively of the hoi polloi:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/kate-middleton/9747412/Duchess-of-Cambridge-discovers-blue-blood-in-her-own-family.html

Is this new? I thought people had researched her lineage back when the engagement was announced, did they just find this out?

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 16 Dec 2012, 12:07

Is this new?

I know one can't believe everything one reads in the papers, but it does say "new research" Ryan.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “General Heraldry”