So I've got a coat of arms, what shall I do with it?

General Heraldry subjects
Chris Green

So I've got a coat of arms, what shall I do with it?

Postby Chris Green » 18 Apr 2013, 14:00

This is a question that comes up quite often. People spend a lot of time, and sometimes a lot of money, to get the CoA of their dreams. Then, and only then, do they begin to wonder what to do with it. Shields aren't very much used these days, but can be decorative in the right surroundings (and with the other half's acquiescence). Standards and banners can be spectacular, but not everyone has a flag-staff in the garden. Embroidered badges on blazers are fine for males of a certain age. I have my CoA on my visiting cards (and the standard on the reverse) - very naff I know, but not expensive.

Here's an unusual idea (with which I hasten to say I have no pecuniary interest):

http://www.clubmatters.co.uk/heraldic.html

What original ideas have you all found?
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

GSelvester

Re: So I've got a coat of arms, what shall I do with it?

Postby GSelvester » 18 Apr 2013, 14:20

In addition to having my coat of arms on a signet ring, a banner, my business cards, my calling cards and personal note cards I also have it printed inside my Christmas cards. I have my coat of arms just above my seat in the Confessional that I use in the church where I am stationed (I'm a priest) and I also have it engraved on the base of my chalice and even as a magnet on the doors of my car.

Benjamin Thornton

Postby Benjamin Thornton » 18 Apr 2013, 14:20

Aside from my Canadian letters patent on display, I've a rubber-stamp bookplate (easily done with one colour/ one metal arms), a signet ring with arms and crest, and visiting cards with my badge. I also found some wooden shields about two feet high - one for each of my young children - that my wife painted with my arms. They hang on display in their bedrooms (the shields, not the children).
Ben

Saepe Ridete Beneque

Ton de Witte

Postby Ton de Witte » 18 Apr 2013, 16:15

the car magnets are cool !
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

steven harris

Postby steven harris » 18 Apr 2013, 20:59

I believe that the good Father also had some M&M's stamped with his arms for Christmas a couple of years back - which was fabulous!
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 18 Apr 2013, 21:03

I have immediately ordered car magnets!
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ton de Witte

Postby Ton de Witte » 18 Apr 2013, 21:25

I would like to that also but unfortunately I haven't got a car only a bicycle :(
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

steven harris

Postby steven harris » 18 Apr 2013, 22:09

Since I homebrew, I have considered creating a template label with my coat of arms, but this has fallen to my lack of artistic abilities :(
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

Benjamin Thornton

Postby Benjamin Thornton » 19 Apr 2013, 03:40

Chris Green wrote:Embroidered badges on blazers are fine for males of a certain age.

This comes up in lists of heraldic accoutrements from time to time, but is there a tradition of wearing one's arms on a blazer - a tradition that would meet, for lack of a better term, more classical standards of etiquette? I know there are suitable occasions to wear the badges of clubs, schools, military organizations and the like, but I don't know about personal arms.

I don't mean to sound snobbish. Personally, I would have no problem with someone wearing their own arms. Times change, and the perceptions of heraldry and those who use it have changed in many circles as well. But I suspect that for those to whom the rules of proper dress matter, it may be frowned on.

Thoughts? Examples?
Ben

Saepe Ridete Beneque

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 19 Apr 2013, 06:00

I have only seen an embroidered badge of personal arms on a fellow-member's blazer at a meeting of the Swedish Heraldic Society, which is a logical place to display it. I suspect that in general society it might be considered by some to be a bit OTT. But then any display of heraldry might be considered to be mere show-off by those who are not interested in the subject. Traditional sartorial "rules" were that a gentleman only wore his club/school/university blazer with its arms/logo at meetings or events of that body - cricket blazer for cricket matches, boat club blazer for regattas, etc.

These days people wear baseball caps who have never even been to a baseball game, rugby and polo shirts but have never been to a rugby game or polo match, cricket pullovers but have never been to a cricket match. As the old song goes: "In olden days a glimpse of stocking was looked on as something shocking, but heaven knows, anything goes!" If a heraldist wants to wear his arms on his chest proudly who is to say him nay? (Probably she-who-must-be-obeyed!)

But enough of men's sartorial efforts. What of the female heraldists? The Luttrell Psalter's famous illustration of a knight on horseback being handed his shield by his wife has her wearing a dress (cotehardie) entirely armorial. No puny little badge for her. Here is an interesting article:

http://www.threegoldbees.com/collegia-notes/2-heraldic-frocks
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “General Heraldry”