US Heraldic Registry Defunct?

General Heraldry subjects
Edward Hillenbrand

US Heraldic Registry Defunct?

Postby Edward Hillenbrand » 01 Jun 2013, 16:43

Apparently the US Heraldic registry is now defunct. Can anyone shed any light on this? Also, are we able to download images? I think all the wonderful CoAs that have been uploaded would make a great screen saver.
Ed Hillenbrand

"Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori"

Armorial Register - International Register of Arm

JMcMillan

Re: US Heraldic Registry Defunct?

Postby JMcMillan » 01 Jun 2013, 17:02

Yes, it does seem to be defunct. Parts of the data can be accessed through the Internet Archive's "Way-Back Machine."

But the images are still Michael Swanson's property, so even if retrievable, it's not exactly sporting to use them for other purposes.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Chas Charles-Dunne

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 01 Jun 2013, 17:47

JMcMillan wrote:Yes, it does seem to be defunct. Parts of the data can be accessed through the Internet Archive's "Way-Back Machine."

But the images are still Michael Swanson's property, so even if retrievable, it's not exactly sporting to use them for other purposes.

How did Michael Swanson obtain copyright of everybody else's arms?

I do not think that they are his property at all, rather they are still the property of the respective armigers.
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

Edward Hillenbrand

Postby Edward Hillenbrand » 01 Jun 2013, 17:57

A few quick thoughts here: I am not planning on make a "For Sale" or even a freeware screen saver, just one for my use/enjoyment. Also, I was looking on how to download our CoA which lead to my original question. Lastly, the jpag or other rendering of an armiger's blazon once on the internet is a) always there and b) will be used by the unscrupulous. I imagine that soon we will find the CoAs depicted here for sale in 'Ye Olde Bucket Shoppe of Heraldry' as the ONLY ancient Coat of Arms EVER granted to Adam. ; ) We just have to accept it and fight such misuse as best we can.
Ed Hillenbrand

"Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori"

Armorial Register - International Register of Arm

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 01 Jun 2013, 18:48

Chas Charles-Dunne wrote:
JMcMillan wrote:Yes, it does seem to be defunct. Parts of the data can be accessed through the Internet Archive's "Way-Back Machine."

I do not think that they are his property at all, rather they are still the property of the respective armigers.

Elementary principles of copyright law. The particular graphic image is Michael's if he made it. If I draw an emblazonment of the arms of Sir Thomas More, the copyright to that particular drawing is mine, even though the arms aren't. Someone else is always free to make their own emblazonment of the same arms, just not to use mine without my permission.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Chas Charles-Dunne

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 01 Jun 2013, 19:13

JMcMillan wrote:
Chas Charles-Dunne wrote:

Elementary principles of copyright law. The particular graphic image is Michael's if he made it. If I draw an emblazonment of the arms of Sir Thomas More, the copyright to that particular drawing is mine, even though the arms aren't. Someone else is always free to make their own emblazonment of the same arms, just not to use mine without my permission.

I know how copyright works, that is why I posed my question.

Are you sure that Michael Swanson made the images, because it is my understanding that he used supplied artwork.
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 01 Jun 2013, 21:10

Part of his service was doing emblazonments for registrants. Register at no charge, but pay a fee for an emblazonment. This is one of his works, the arms of Jay Bohn, from the AHS members' roll:

Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Iain Boyd

Postby Iain Boyd » 02 Jun 2013, 00:41

That is a shame as it was a valuable repository of modern heraldry.

If Michael Swanson is amenable to the suggestion would the Association or the American Heraldry Society be willing to host the data on its website?

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Jeremy Kudlick

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 02 Jun 2013, 01:22

The USHR site appeared as though it had not been updated since July 2010 each time I looked at it over the past few years, so it appears to have been neglected/abandoned, which is truly a shame.
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow
Semper Patriam Servire Praesto

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 02 Jun 2013, 01:44

Iain Boyd wrote:That is a shame as it was a valuable repository of modern heraldry.

If Michael Swanson is amenable to the suggestion would the Association or the American Heraldry Society be willing to host the data on its website?

No one I know of (including myself) has been able to reach him, or at least not to get a response.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Return to “General Heraldry”