International Heraldry Day

General Heraldry subjects
Ryan Shuflin

Re: International Heraldry Day

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 31 May 2013, 11:21

Ton de Witte wrote:not to be pedantic but it says: herladry day. A mistake I have made myself on several occasions

I can't believe it. Also, those two white shield are suppose to be ermine and vair. Corrected edition:

I was also thinking about putting the shields in a circle with the words International Heraldry Day 2013 encircling them, but I was unable to get inkscape to play along to my satisfaction.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Postby Jeremy Keith Hammond » 31 May 2013, 19:02

What ever you come up with - don't forget to submit it on Facebook (ideally) or Twitter!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Heraldry-Day/506056482793288

https://twitter.com/HeraldryDay

Personally, I think I'd like to include a design that features the flower of a broom shrub, to make the nod towards Geoffrey Plantagenet.
Jeremy Keith Hammond, IAAH Fellow
Member since 2007

My website

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 31 May 2013, 19:29

I still can't see what is wrong with using the picture of Geoffrey P. He is after all the reason why we are going for 10 June.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 02 Jun 2013, 09:55

I don't have the time to figure out how to make one, but I have an idea to make one that looks like a seal. The outside would say international heraldry day and the year, and the inside could be new every year.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 03 Jun 2013, 11:43

With only a week to go to 10 June, we have yet to learn whether the Board has discussed my proposal of 14 May, and whether our President is intending to contact the heraldic authorities and societies.

So you don't have to search for it, this is what I said on 14 May:

I now formally propose that on 10 June he [the President] address a letter to the heads of all the Heraldic Authorities, and to as many Heraldic Societies and fora as we can think of, proposing that 10 June 2014 and annually thereafter be declared World Heraldry Day, explaining why, and encouraging them to devise interesting ways of bringing it to the attention of the public.

I am impressed that the "grass-roots" have grasped the torch (I have seen the Facebook item promoted on the Nordic Heraldica forum). But it would, in my view, be a shame for the IAAH not to use its world-wide reach to ensure that World Heraldry Day is at least considered by the numerous regional associations and most of all by the heraldic authorities.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Postby Jeremy Keith Hammond » 03 Jun 2013, 21:08

Chris Green wrote:I still can't see what is wrong with using the picture of Geoffrey P. He is after all the reason why we are going for 10 June.

Nothing wrong with it, per se. It just seemed like an opportunity to do something fun. In my experience, the conversations in heraldry forums that light up with the most enthusiasm are those that have to do with designing new emblems. The intent was to drum up some more of that enthusiasm around the holiday itself.

Good ol' Geoffrey will likely continue to be employed in other manners as time goes on ;)
Member since 2007

My website

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Postby Jeremy Keith Hammond » 03 Jun 2013, 21:14

Chris Green wrote:With only a week to go to 10 June, we have yet to learn whether the Board has discussed my proposal of 14 May, and whether our President is intending to contact the heraldic authorities and societies...

... in my view, [it would] be a shame for the IAAH not to use its world-wide reach to ensure that World Heraldry Day is at least considered by the numerous regional associations and most of all by the heraldic authorities.

A shame indeed! I guess there's always next year. I think a steering committee of volunteers could be easily organized to coordinate activities in the future - including reaching out to various heraldic bodies. It's a great opportunity to get IAAH in the spotlight - but if the board prefers to remain neutral - there's no reason why private individuals can't move things forward. IAAH can always "sign on" afterwards with all the other institutions.

PS - for all those concerned - midnight (US-East Coast Time) tonight is the deadline for folks to submit entries to the badge design contest!
Member since 2007

My website

John Jones

Postby John Jones » 03 Jun 2013, 22:50

Hello Chris
Yes, I didn't read all the messages.
10 June seems appropriate, or at least as good as any other day.
John

John Jones

Postby John Jones » 04 Jun 2013, 08:06

Just out of curiosity, why is this topic on the members only area?
It could be of interest to anyone who logs in to the Forum.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Postby Jeremy Keith Hammond » 07 Jun 2013, 17:58

John Jones wrote:Just out of curiosity, why is this topic on the members only area?
It could be of interest to anyone who logs in to the Forum.

I would ask that a moderator move it to one of the public folders.

Also - Voting has commenced for the submitted designs!

VOTE HERE:
http://heraldryday.blogspot.com/2013/06/2013-badge-contest.html
Member since 2007

My website

Return to “General Heraldry”