International Heraldry Day

General Heraldry subjects
Jeremy Keith Hammond

Re: International Heraldry Day

Postby Jeremy Keith Hammond » 10 Jun 2013, 14:51

Congrats also to Alexander Liptak, the artist of the winning badge design:

I somehow doubt the green and gold tabard of the Norman knight was intentionally a nod to my own coat of arms - but I'm going to pretend it was and appreciate it :-D
Jeremy Keith Hammond, IAAH Fellow
Member since 2007

My website

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Postby Jeremy Keith Hammond » 10 Jun 2013, 15:19

With my work for this year's celebrations over, I want to share my vision for the future and invite people to be a part of it.

1. Continue the regular creation of amusing heraldry memes and post to social media throughout the year.

2. Establish a small, semi-formal steering committee to oversee the planning AND implementation of holiday celebrations.

3. A grassroots endeavor over the next twelve months to solicit direct declarations from heraldic societies/communities, heraldic authorities - and perhaps even governments - to publicly acknowledge the holiday. Societies > Authorities > Governments will be the order of priority and in obviously increasing ambition. (Though, to be perfectly honest, I don't see adoption by authorities or governments early in the life of the holiday, and will focus energy on groups such as IAAH.)

4. Establish an annual badge design contest incorporating lessons learned from this year - as well as other ideas to increase the quantity and quality of submissions and the efficiency of the selection process.
A) Incorporate design requirements: original arms (if applicable) / minimal dimensions / etc.
B) Better time table for the solicitation of designs/directly target artists and artist groups
C) Reach a critical mass of submissions to warrant the use of a tiered selection process resulting in a single selected contribution from each participating nation to be voted on globally - perhaps coordinated by nationally oriented societies or authorities (for example, the Royal Heraldry Society of Canada may take on responsibility of selecting and submitting the sole Canadian design for competition.)

One could obviously dream of other ideas - but I created this small list of goals to keep the efforts grounded and not duplicate the efforts of others. Hopefully those interested in more ambitious projects (real life conferences academic conferences?) will use June 10 as an ideal date for their activities.
Member since 2007

My website

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 10 Jun 2013, 15:47

A grassroots endeavor over the next twelve months to solicit direct declarations from heraldic societies/communities, heraldic authorities - and perhaps even governments - to publicly acknowledge the holiday. Societies > Authorities > Governments will be the order of priority and in obviously increasing ambition. (Though, to be perfectly honest, I don't see adoption by authorities or governments early in the life of the holiday, and will focus energy on groups such as IAAH.)

I too see this as being a grass-roots endeavour. My original idea had been for our President on this day to write to all the heraldic authorities and as many heraldic societies as he could think of encouraging them to make 10 June each year International Heraldry Day, starting from next year. It is now clear that our President is not going to undertake this onerous task. Indeed he is not going to interest himself in International Heraldry Day in any way, shape or form (you will perhaps have noticed his absence from this thread to date). That is entirely up to him - although one might have hoped that whoever was President would have responded to the interest expressed by the membership.

PS: You mention "holiday". It is perhaps a tad premature to expect a world-wide holiday in honour of heraldry! But we can dream ...
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Tomasz Steifer

Postby Tomasz Steifer » 10 Jun 2013, 21:18

Jeremy Keith Hammond wrote:Congrats also to Alexander Liptak, the artist of the winning badge design:

I somehow doubt the green and gold tabard of the Norman knight was intentionally a nod to my own coat of arms - but I'm going to pretend it was and appreciate it :-D

Congratulation also to Alexander Liptak!
regards

Tomasz Steifer
IAAH Fellow

Tomasz Steifer

Postby Tomasz Steifer » 10 Jun 2013, 21:29

Jeremy Keith Hammond wrote:With my work for this year's celebrations over, I want to share my vision for the future and invite people to be a part of it.

1. Continue the regular creation of amusing heraldry memes and post to social media throughout the year.

2. Establish a small, semi-formal steering committee to oversee the planning AND implementation of holiday celebrations.

3. A grassroots endeavor over the next twelve months to solicit direct declarations from heraldic societies/communities, heraldic authorities - and perhaps even governments - to publicly acknowledge the holiday. Societies > Authorities > Governments will be the order of priority and in obviously increasing ambition. (Though, to be perfectly honest, I don't see adoption by authorities or governments early in the life of the holiday, and will focus energy on groups such as IAAH.)

4. Establish an annual badge design contest incorporating lessons learned from this year - as well as other ideas to increase the quantity and quality of submissions and the efficiency of the selection process.
A) Incorporate design requirements: original arms (if applicable) / minimal dimensions / etc.
B) Better time table for the solicitation of designs/directly target artists and artist groups
C) Reach a critical mass of submissions to warrant the use of a tiered selection process resulting in a single selected contribution from each participating nation to be voted on globally - perhaps coordinated by nationally oriented societies or authorities (for example, the Royal Heraldry Society of Canada may take on responsibility of selecting and submitting the sole Canadian design for competition.)

One could obviously dream of other ideas - but I created this small list of goals to keep the efforts grounded and not duplicate the efforts of others. Hopefully those interested in more ambitious projects (real life conferences academic conferences?) will use June 10 as an ideal date for their activities.

Very true comments and good ideas. I believe that we should be informed (see the) holy Heraldic Authorities. It should also add information to Wikipedia, one of the most popular Internet media. / Polish Wipedią, I'll take care of, but the English edition of my information about the new festival has been removed. Maybe someone has more endurance?

I think it's a good idea to do a contest every year for INternatinal Heraldry Day badge, it will help identify the specific year only on the basis of the image (badge), and the competition is also a good advertising and promotion!
regards

Tomasz Steifer
IAAH Fellow

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 10 Jun 2013, 21:56

You need a third party source, that has editorial oversight. The easiest way to do that, would be to contact the press. If you can get one journalist to write about it, that would qualify as a valid source.

Tomasz Steifer

Postby Tomasz Steifer » 10 Jun 2013, 22:22

Ryan Shuflin wrote:You need a third party source, that has editorial oversight. The easiest way to do that, would be to contact the press. If you can get one journalist to write about it, that would qualify as a valid source.

Thank you!
regards

Tomasz Steifer
IAAH Fellow

John Jones

Postby John Jones » 12 Jun 2013, 04:00

Is it possible to see the various designs that were put forward?

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Postby Jeremy Keith Hammond » 13 Jun 2013, 01:46

I've re-enabled the poll on the old website. The designs can be found here: http://heraldryday.blogspot.com/
Member since 2007

My website

John Jones

Postby John Jones » 13 Jun 2013, 03:43

Thank you Jeremy. Interesting designs.
Only curious but any reason for the green surcoat on the new badge? The animal could do with some features.

Return to “General Heraldry”