International Heraldry Day

General Heraldry subjects
Chas Charles-Dunne

Re: International Heraldry Day

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 14 May 2013, 15:17

For my part, I have started to spread the word to everybody I know.
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 14 May 2013, 15:22

Good to know that Board Members are active!

I am happy to spread the word to my Scandinavian contacts, but only if the Board concurs.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ton de Witte

Postby Ton de Witte » 14 May 2013, 15:51

I have posted your proposal (and the link to this thread) in the board room for discussion.
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 16 May 2013, 13:07

Jeremy Keith Hammond wrote:
Ryan Shuflin wrote:Another question is how do we observe it? With refreshments of course! Any other ideas for how International Heraldry Day could be celebrated?

By making an even greater effort to display heraldry and speak to friends and family about it! It's also a great opportunity to organize meet and greets for any heraldry enthusiasts who live near each other.

Well, here are some ideas I had.

For at home:
Heraldry Day party
Display coat of arms and armorial flags
For online:
Blog/tweet etc about it (for heraldry and non-heraldry blogs)
display arms
For in the community:
Organize a community event such as a heraldic art show at some local venue (library, town hall, historical society, etc.)
Parade! or perhaps an re-enactment of some traditional heraldry related event.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Postby Jeremy Keith Hammond » 24 May 2013, 23:49

Tomasz Steifer, as co-originator of the idea of June 10 as a day to celebrate heraldry, has given me his blessing to put together an online presence for this great day of the year.

Please “Like” the International Heraldry Day Facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Heraldry-Day/506056482793288

And please follow International Heraldry Day on Twitter here:
https://twitter.com/HeraldryDay

Naturally, online promotions for an International Heraldry Day deserve a logo, and by extension that logo should be heraldic in nature! I know everyone loves designing new emblems, so what better way to celebrate International Heraldry Day than with a design contest?

I’ll be setting up a democratically organized contest where folks can submit their own Heraldic Badge designs which will be voted on by other heraldry enthusiasts.

Time is short – so start brainstorming now! Folks are welcome to submit as many designs as they like and can also work together.

Look for announcements and more details on Facebook and Twitter!
Jeremy Keith Hammond, IAAH Fellow
Member since 2007

My website

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 25 May 2013, 06:13

I am delighted that you are taking this forward Jeremy. Perhaps this year's first steps will lead´to a positive response from the heraldic authorities and from other heraldic societies and associations. Surely we have a ready-made logo in the excellent picture of Geoffrey Plantagenet reproduced in Tomasz's original post.

What riles me is that, despite my proposal ( http://amateurheralds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=296 ) being put to the Board on 14 May by the Secretary, our President has yet to comment on it, let alone to indicate what, if anything he proposes to do in the way of promoting the idea. The result, if you can call it a result, is that the Board has yet to reach any decision on how/if to respond.

10 June is now only a couple of weeks away, too late for letters to be sent to the heraldic authorities and associations encouraging them to recognise the day. But do let's not let such momentum as there is die away.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

John Jones

Postby John Jones » 27 May 2013, 07:42

A good idea for heraldry enthusiasts.
I can't see it having much interest outside that fairly small group.

So, pick a day ......
How about the day Canada established its Heraldic Authority? That at least is recent.
There is no such day for the English College of Heralds, unless they can think of a significant day.
Lord Lyon's Office might have a significant date.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 27 May 2013, 08:30

John: Have you not read the earlier posts? 10 June has been proposed, and for very valid reasons.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 29 May 2013, 21:15

Jeremy Keith Hammond wrote:Tomasz Steifer, as co-originator of the idea of June 10 as a day to celebrate heraldry, has given me his blessing to put together an online presence for this great day of the year.

Please “Like” the International Heraldry Day Facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Heraldry-Day/506056482793288

And please follow International Heraldry Day on Twitter here:
https://twitter.com/HeraldryDay

Naturally, online promotions for an International Heraldry Day deserve a logo, and by extension that logo should be heraldic in nature! I know everyone loves designing new emblems, so what better way to celebrate International Heraldry Day than with a design contest?

I’ll be setting up a democratically organized contest where folks can submit their own Heraldic Badge designs which will be voted on by other heraldry enthusiasts.

Time is short – so start brainstorming now! Folks are welcome to submit as many designs as they like and can also work together.

Look for announcements and more details on Facebook and Twitter!

Here is my first design, I had another idea, but I had a hard time getting it to work.

Ton de Witte

Postby Ton de Witte » 30 May 2013, 08:53

not to be pedantic but it says: herladry day. A mistake I have made myself on several occasions
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Return to “General Heraldry”