International Heraldry Day

General Heraldry subjects
Chris Green

International Heraldry Day

Postby Chris Green » 07 Jun 2013, 18:22

This thread has been moved from the Members' Lounge.

The thread was originally created in the Member's Lounge by Tomasz. He may have thought that only members would have the interest and clout to push this idea forward. Well he was partly right - some members are interested and taking action. Others are not. The IAAH Board has yet to take a stance and it is but three days to the tenth.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Re: International Heraldry Day

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 08 Jun 2013, 15:20

Chris Green wrote:The IAAH Board has yet to take a stance and it is but three days to the tenth.

I'm not sure that the IAAH Board is able to take a stance; we seem to have been unable to come back to the Membership with a formal Board response and the initial proposal appears to have been directed towards the President. I'm in some difficulty responding to the request that our President takes the matter forward as this request was not made to me and I don't think it's proper of me to quote another's view when it has been expressed in the confines of a Board Room meeting. Perhaps those who require an answer from our President can make a direct approach?

Chris Green wrote:As there has to date been silence from our President on this subject, I now formally propose that on 10 June he address a letter to the heads of all the Heraldic Authorities, and to as many Heraldic Societies and fora as we can think of, proposing that 10 June 2014 and annually thereafter be declared World Heraldry Day, explaining why, and encouraging them to devise interesting ways of bringing it to the attention of the public.

Pending the President's response, I'm happy to give my own personal view in public - perhaps those of my colleagues on the Board who share my view that the membership requires a response to this request will also follow my post here.

My view is this: The initiative is, on the face of it, to be commended. I’m all for anything that might just bring to the masses a better understanding of our hobby but I can’t help feeling that there is such a low National awareness of heraldry (even in those countries where heraldry originated) that it will be an upward struggle; I'm not against the request that our President should contact the heraldic authorities on our behalf (it is of course a matter for him whether he is comfortable doing so or not) but I have a pessimistic view of their response (the UK ones at least). In addition, I can’t help but feel that such an initiative is more likely to be hijacked by the bucket-shop family crest brigade.

I have often felt that local, National, initiatives might be better. It was good to see so many personal banners flying at “The Gathering” recently held in Edinburgh and I’d love to see English armigers (perhaps those members of The White Lion Society?) parading as a group with their personal banners at The Lord Mayor’s Show in London. If it took off, it might be possible to repeat the same at similar regional events. This could also be repeated in other countries if there was a willingness to participate. In the end, it all boils down to a willingness to participate in events and the opportunity to do so.
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry
http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk

Ton de Witte

Postby Ton de Witte » 08 Jun 2013, 15:49

I agree with Martin, a good initiative but I am also pessimistic regarding the bucket shop brigrade.
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 08 Jun 2013, 17:58

As regards concerns over the "bucket shop" brigade hi-jacking the day, would a monarch cancel their coronation because unscrupulous firms would otherwise profit from selling tawdry unauthorised "coronation mugs"?
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 08 Jun 2013, 19:08

perhaps we should form an International Heraldry Day committee or team of some sort, that is capable of acting without the leadership of the president. IHD should have a life of its own, independent of the IAAH.

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 09 Jun 2013, 13:15

It does in fact have a life of its own. It has a facebook page and now a dedicated website. Congratulations are to be awarded to those who have taken the initiative by the horns and spread their own wings.

http://www.heraldryday.com/
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry
http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk

Tomasz Steifer

Postby Tomasz Steifer » 09 Jun 2013, 22:07

Martin Goldstraw wrote:It does in fact have a life of its own. It has a facebook page and now a dedicated website. Congratulations are to be awarded to those who have taken the initiative by the horns and spread their own wings.

http://www.heraldryday.com/

I am very glad that my idea begins to live its own life. I would like to especially thank Jeremy, who showed particularly high willingness to promote this idea. I've seen a page on fb, but only now came through Martin's post on page http://www.heraldryday.com/
Did I guess, it's also a work of Jeremy? Excellent! I have only two requests. If you can make a small information, it's my idea or general Polish Heraldic Community "Nova Herold"? I'm sorry, it's not just vanity. We, PHC, are a new, small association and even a little fact will give us a bit of "fame".
The second is whether we can still add projects to the logo of this holiday? I do not have any Idea for a badge at the moment, and some of the listed on site I like, but maybe some of my Polish colleagues wants to throw an idea?

This year, do not have the time or our association, nor I, privately, to organize the celebration of this day. I plan to just simply hang out at his house and the national heraldic flags. But we are already planning for the next celebration of the day Gniew Castle of an academic conference, heraldic art exhibition and tournament fighting heraldic "medieval" knights. I will announce when we developed the details and cost. For now I pre-booked place in the castle for about 100 people. The cost will probably be big, but I hope that will help in the organization of the Union of Polish Nobility (ZSzP) and the local authorities, I hope also benefited from EU funding. If you can accomplish this surely will need his help IAAH, including for the conduct of interesting lectures and multimedia presentations.
regards

Tomasz Steifer
IAAH Fellow

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 10 Jun 2013, 05:38

Happy International Heraldry Day !

A big thank you to Tomasz and to the Polish Heraldic Community for coming up with this idea. Choosing the anniversary of Geoffrey Plantaganet receiving his arms was particularly apt. Thanks too to Jeremy for his efforts.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Tomasz Steifer

Postby Tomasz Steifer » 10 Jun 2013, 08:13

Chris Green wrote:A big thank you to Tomasz and to the Polish Heraldic Community for coming up with this idea. Choosing the anniversary of Geoffrey Plantaganet receiving his arms was particularly apt. Thanks too to Jeremy for his efforts.

Thank you! And thanks very special to Jeremy for his work!
and I wish also to all
Happy International Heraldry Day !

I'm just so celebrate this year, but the number of the next, a joint effort will be a great event

I think it would be good to inform the Heraldic Authorities about the new holliday, maybe one of the colleagues is more familiare relationship with the College of Arms and the Court of Lord Lion?
regards

Tomasz Steifer
IAAH Fellow

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Postby Jeremy Keith Hammond » 10 Jun 2013, 14:14

Tomasz Steifer wrote:I am very glad that my idea begins to live its own life. I would like to especially thank Jeremy, who showed particularly high willingness to promote this idea. I've seen a page on fb, but only now came through Martin's post on page http://www.heraldryday.com/
Did I guess, it's also a work of Jeremy? Excellent! I have only two requests. If you can make a small information, it's my idea or general Polish Heraldic Community "Nova Herold"? I'm sorry, it's not just vanity. We, PHC, are a new, small association and even a little fact will give us a bit of "fame".
The second is whether we can still add projects to the logo of this holiday? I do not have any Idea for a badge at the moment, and some of the listed on site I like, but maybe some of my Polish colleagues wants to throw an idea?

Yes - for full transparency - I whipped the website together quickly. Tomasz - you absolutely deserve credit and I apologize for not publishing attribution from the start. As folks can probably tell - this was all pulled together at the last minute. I have happily updated the "About" page with a direct link to the Polish Heraldic Community. http://www.heraldryday.com/?page_id=16

Elias Granqvist also deserves some credit. He is a contributor to the online Scandinavian heraldry community and created the "event" page (as opposed to the "Page") I reached out to Elias to see if he wanted to collaborate and coordinate. He was more than willing and we share similar attitudes on the holiday. It's been a pleasure - however brief - working with him - I hope he stays on.

I appreciate the thanks - but don't feel qualified. For one - it really wasn't that much effort. Putting up a facebook page, twitter account, and website didn't take much of my time. Simultaneously - those who have followed me here and at the American Heraldry Society know I have a history of not implementing ideas (apologies esp. to Martin who I had promised a new IAAH website AGES ago!) so I feel as if I owed it to the heraldry community.

To address concerns about bucket shops hijacking the day - the website and social media have a gap to fill between now and June 10, 2014. I think it's a great venue to offer education on heraldry and SPECIFICALLY highlight the challenge presented by bucket shops. In fact, I've already begun this by creating what may be the first online "heraldry meme" https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=521417791257157&set=a.521417787923824.1073741828.506056482793288&type=1&theater

... which indirectly confronts bucket shop heraldry. I'd love to see the heraldry community on facebook and twitter continue with heraldry memes. I feel humor is the best avenue where folks can say "you're doing it wrong" and not come across as paternalistic or snobby.

So personally - my life is in transition - it's hard to say what my future with this holiday and its promotion will be. My hope is that at minimum the IAAH will continue to host this thread and by doing so serve as unofficial sponsors of the holiday. That way folks interested in contributing have a neutral (ie: international) space to offer their thoughts.
Jeremy Keith Hammond, IAAH Fellow
Member since 2007

My website

Return to “General Heraldry”