Prince George of Cambridge

General Heraldry subjects
GSelvester

Prince George of Cambridge

Postby GSelvester » 23 Jul 2013, 03:30

Prince William did not receive the use of a coat of arms until he was 18. So, while the name should be announced this week the coat of arms won't be devised until the year 2031.

Marcus Karlsson

Re: The Duchess of Cambridge

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 23 Jul 2013, 07:04

GSelvester wrote:Prince William did not receive the use of a coat of arms until he was 18. So, while the name should be announced this week the coat of arms won't be devised until the year 2031.

Yes It appears to be the tradition to wait with the Coat of Arms until the coming of age (or some years after that). I guess also that the future King (then perhaps already Prince of Wales) at about that time also will be invested with the Order of the Garter.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 23 Jul 2013, 07:11

Marcus Karlsson wrote:
GSelvester wrote:Prince William did not receive the use of a coat of arms until he was 18. So, while the name should be announced this week the coat of arms won't be devised until the year 2031.

Yes It appears to be the tradition to wait with the Coat of Arms until the coming of age (or some years after that). I guess also that the future King (then perhaps already Prince of Wales) at about that time also will be invested with the Order of the Garter.

Well perhaps not yet Prince of Wales (his grandfather then beeing 83 so he will probably still be King). But certainly the Duke of Cambridge would by then be Prince of Wales.

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 23 Jul 2013, 07:30

Marcus Karlsson wrote:

Yes it's traditional but that age is not set in stone. The Duke of York was.granted his for example at the age of two.

GSelvester

Postby GSelvester » 23 Jul 2013, 20:43

Jonathan Webster wrote:The Duke of York was.granted his for example at the age of two.

But, unlike the child just born, he was the child of a reigning sovereign at the time he was born. And, yes, that makes a difference. The precedent set with with Prince William seems far more likely.

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 23 Jul 2013, 21:26

GSelvester wrote:
Jonathan Webster wrote:The Duke of York was.granted his for example at the age of two.

But, unlike the child just born, he was the child of a reigning sovereign at the time he was born. And, yes, that makes a difference. The precedent set with with Prince William seems far more likely.

It was also a long time ago--more than half a century. I agree with Fr Guy that the more recent examples are more likely to serve as the precedents in this case, especially since the rationale for delay (that a child who isn't carrying out any public duties doesn't really need his own coat of arms) is fairly compelling regardless of past practice.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 23 Jul 2013, 22:32

^ I do agree, I was just pointing out that it's not a rule or anything.

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 23 Jul 2013, 23:32

Didn't Prince William use at one time arms with a label of five points? Any guesses on what the name will be?

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 24 Jul 2013, 09:35

Ryan Shuflin wrote:Any guesses on what the name will be?

Had it been a girl I would have laid odds on one of the middle names being Dianna so, as it's a boy I am wondering if one of the middle names will be Spencer.
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry
http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 24 Jul 2013, 12:12

Ryan Shuflin wrote:Didn't Prince William use at one time arms with a label of five points?

No; he wasn't armigerous until he was granted his current Arms on his 18th birthday. The Arms of a child of the British Sovereign aren't hereditary either, so he couldn't have borne just the Royal Arms differenced by a label of five points Argent.

Return to “General Heraldry”