Prince George of Cambridge

General Heraldry subjects
JMcMillan

Re: The Duchess of Cambridge

Postby JMcMillan » 24 Jul 2013, 13:56

Martin Goldstraw wrote:
Ryan Shuflin wrote:Any guesses on what the name will be?

Had it been a girl I would have laid odds on one of the middle names being Dianna so, as it's a boy I am wondering if one of the middle names will be Spencer.

I'd be willing to bet against it. I'm thinking some combination of Charles, Michael, Henry and George.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Edward Hillenbrand

Postby Edward Hillenbrand » 24 Jul 2013, 17:20

Just my .02 cents here: how about a name for the Royal tyke before we worry about his arms? Unless you are concerned that he has two arms. One nose, ten toes. :D
Ed Hillenbrand

"Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori"

Armorial Register - International Register of Arm

steven harris

Postby steven harris » 24 Jul 2013, 17:41

Jonathan Webster wrote:
Ryan Shuflin wrote:Didn't Prince William use at one time arms with a label of five points?

No; he wasn't armigerous until he was granted his current Arms on his 18th birthday. The Arms of a child of the British Sovereign aren't hereditary either, so he couldn't have borne just the Royal Arms differenced by a label of five points Argent.

I was under the impression that children of the sovereign used a label of three points, male-line grandchildren used a label of five points, and (presumably) great-grandchildren would use a label of seven points. That being said however, IIRC those who are in the direct line as heir-apparent (Charles, William, and the new babe) would use a three-point label regardless of their number of generations from the crown.
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 24 Jul 2013, 18:29

Has anyone any evidence of a label of seven points?
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 24 Jul 2013, 18:40

steven harris wrote:... (presumably) great-grandchildren would use a label of seven points. That being said however, IIRC those who are in the direct line as heir-apparent (Charles, William, and the new babe) would use a three-point label regardless of their number of generations from the crown.

My understanding is that great-grandchildren who are not in the line of succession, e.g. the Duke of Kent's and the Duke of Gloucester's children, inherit their fathers' arms, with the fathers' 5-pointed labels as permanent charges on them.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 24 Jul 2013, 19:33

Edward Hillenbrand wrote:Just my .02 cents here: how about a name for the Royal tyke before we worry about his arms? Unless you are concerned that he has two arms. One nose, ten toes. :D

I'm now guessing it will be "George Alexander Louis." Just a hunch. ;)
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Jeremy Kudlick

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 24 Jul 2013, 19:49

JMcMillan wrote:
Edward Hillenbrand wrote:Just my .02 cents here: how about a name for the Royal tyke before we worry about his arms? Unless you are concerned that he has two arms. One nose, ten toes. :D

I'm now guessing it will be "George Alexander Louis." Just a hunch. ;)

That's a pretty good guess, seeing as it's all over the news. :lol:
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow
Semper Patriam Servire Praesto

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 24 Jul 2013, 20:14

steven harris wrote:
Jonathan Webster wrote:
Ryan Shuflin wrote:Didn't Prince William use at one time arms with a label of five points?

No; he wasn't armigerous until he was granted his current Arms on his 18th birthday. The Arms of a child of the British Sovereign aren't hereditary either, so he couldn't have borne just the Royal Arms differenced by a label of five points Argent.

I was under the impression that children of the sovereign used a label of three points, male-line grandchildren used a label of five points, and (presumably) great-grandchildren would use a label of seven points. That being said however, IIRC those who are in the direct line as heir-apparent (Charles, William, and the new babe) would use a three-point label regardless of their number of generations from the crown.

Yes, but only those Arms granted to a male-line grandchild of a British sovereign (with the exception of the Heir Apparent's eldest son) are hereditary; not the Arms of their children. So, the Prince of Wales, Princess Anne, Duke of York, and Earl of Wessex cannot pass the Arms they presently bear on to their children, but Princesses Beatrice.and Eugenie can (as heraldic heiresses), as can the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent, Prince Michael of Kent and s Alexandra of Kent (because they are all male-line grandchildren of George V) Oddly, the Arms borne at present by Prince Harry are hereditary according to this ruling, but on his father's accession he will be granted a new grant of three points (presumably the same as the.Arms presently borne by the Duke of Cambridge, whose Arms will have changed due to him becoming the Heir Apparent.), which would not be hereditary, leading to the odd situation perhaps of Prince Harry marrying and having children before the death of Elizabeth II, in which case his children would be born armigerous, only for them to lose that armigerous status on the accession of their grandfather to the throne.

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 24 Jul 2013, 20:19

Arthur Radburn wrote:
steven harris wrote:... (presumably) great-grandchildren would use a label of seven points. That being said however, IIRC those who are in the direct line as heir-apparent (Charles, William, and the new babe) would use a three-point label regardless of their number of generations from the crown.

My understanding is that great-grandchildren who are not in the line of succession, e.g. the Duke of Kent's and the Duke of Gloucester's children, inherit their fathers' arms, with the fathers' 5-pointed labels as permanent charges on them.

You are correct in that assumption, Arthur :). Don't forget as well that Royal Arms do not follow the usual heraldic rules common to everyone else (although since 1975 the Arms of the monarch's grandchildren do).

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 25 Jul 2013, 03:38

Jonathan Webster wrote:Yes, but only those Arms granted to a male-line grandchild of a British sovereign (with the exception of the Heir Apparent's eldest son) are hereditary; not the Arms of their children. So, the Prince of Wales, Princess Anne, Duke of York, and Earl of Wessex cannot pass the Arms they presently bear on to their children, but Princesses Beatrice.and Eugenie can (as heraldic heiresses), as can the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent, Prince Michael of Kent and s Alexandra of Kent (because they are all male-line grandchildren of George V) Oddly, the Arms borne at present by Prince Harry are hereditary according to this ruling, but on his father's accession he will be granted a new grant of three points (presumably the same as the.Arms presently borne by the Duke of Cambridge, whose Arms will have changed due to him becoming the Heir Apparent.), which would not be hereditary, leading to the odd situation perhaps of Prince Harry marrying and having children before the death of Elizabeth II, in which case his children would be born armigerous, only for them to lose that armigerous status on the accession of their grandfather to the throne.

Wait, why would Prince Harry be granted his brother's arms? or his hypothetical children lose theirs? Prince Harry currently has a 5 point label, and I don't see why he would not just be granted the same arms with two less labels? In fact, that is what the College says will happen. http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/news-grants/grants/item/71-coat-of-arms-prince-william

Also, as far as Prince William's arms here is a site that mentions him at one time using a 5 point label. http://www.baronage.co.uk/bphtm-01/william1.html Although it isn't traditional.

Chris Green wrote:Has anyone any evidence of a label of seven points?

I think Queen Victoria was the only other monarch who lived to see her great grandchildren, she didn't grant them arms. I think there was some speculation or suggestion on the part of Victorian experts that great grandchildren would or should receive seven pointed labels. Anyway, no member of the Royal Family has received one.

Return to “General Heraldry”