Modern day tabards?

General Heraldry subjects
Jonathan Webster

Re: Modern day tabards?

Postby Jonathan Webster » 01 Sep 2013, 18:26

The tabard of Garioch Pursuivant, private officer of arms to the Countess of Mar:

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 01 Sep 2013, 18:27

The tabard of the Chief Herald of Canada:

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 01 Sep 2013, 18:28

The last lot of pictures courtesy of Guy Sylvester's blog :)

Jeremy Kudlick

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 06 Sep 2013, 01:48

If I recall correctly, the Diamond Jubilee was the first time the Chief Herald of Canada wore her tabard in public, since it had only recently been completed. The detailing in the tabard is quite beautiful, and I'll see if I can find a more close-up view of it.
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow
Semper Patriam Servire Praesto

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 06 Sep 2013, 08:17

Jeremy Kudlick wrote:If I recall correctly, the Diamond Jubilee was the first time the Chief Herald of Canada wore her tabard in public, since it had only recently been completed. The detailing in the tabard is quite beautiful, and I'll see if I can find a more close-up view of it.

That is my main criticism of it. That you have to be standing right next to the Herald to actually see the design, from far away, it just looks like a blue gown. The traditional tabard seems to me designed to be viewed from afar. It is indeed a beautiful garment, but I don't think many people get to see it.

here is a link with more pictures:
http://canadian-heraldry.blogspot.de/2012/05/tabard-of-chief-herald-of-canada.html

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 06 Sep 2013, 10:32

Jonathan Webster wrote:The tabards (although I suppose technically they are surcoats as they don't have side panels) of National Herald of South Africa, Themba Mabaso, and of Deputy National Herald, Marcel van Rossum

IIRC these were made for the 2006 congress in Edinburgh, by the congress organisers. Otherwise, the SA heralds don't wear tabards, as they have no ceremonial role.

There exists a proper tabard of the old national arms, which was made for display purposes years ago. I recall seeing it when the Bureau sent an exhibition around the country to mark its 21st anniversary in the mid-80s. There was also a herald's baton. The heralds and members of the Heraldry Council - and the Bureau itself - place crossed batons behind their arms.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 06 Sep 2013, 16:27

I have to say I really don't like the tabard of the Chief Herald of Canada: whilst the decoration on it is undeniably nice, a tabard should be clear as it is quite literally a Coat of Arms. I really don't understand what is with the blue-black colouring either-the decoration on it is very hard to make out even from a distance, and I don't understand why the Arms of HM the Queen in right of Canada are only used on the shoulder panels; in fact, if it had not been pointed out that the Arms were there, I probably wouldn't have noticed. At the very least the Arms on the shoulders should have been in colour to actually show whose tabard it is, and quite why the tabard couldn't have been the Arms in full colour on both front and side panels like everyone else I have no idea.

Joe; I'm intrigued: what program did you use to create those tabards?

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 06 Sep 2013, 18:15

Does the Royal Canadian Heraldry Soc. have any info on the Canadian tabard, or the Canadian Heraldry Auth. for that matter. Perhaps the designer was consciously trying to be different to the "home country" tabards.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 06 Sep 2013, 18:28

Chris Green wrote:Does the Royal Canadian Heraldry Soc. have any info on the Canadian tabard, or the Canadian Heraldry Auth. for that matter. Perhaps the designer was consciously trying to be different to the "home country" tabards.

Quite possibly, and probably trying a bit too hard at that.

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 06 Sep 2013, 18:48

Chris Green wrote:Does the Royal Canadian Heraldry Soc. have any info on the Canadian tabard, or the Canadian Heraldry Auth. for that matter.

I'm sure both do. The tabard was a gift to the CHA from the RHSC.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Return to “General Heraldry”