The National Arms of Armenia

General Heraldry subjects
Jonathan Webster

The National Arms of Armenia

Postby Jonathan Webster » 11 Sep 2013, 11:59

Anyone any idea how to blazon the National Arms of Armenia? The Arms are, roughly speaking, okay heraldry but how to blazon it?

Ryan Shuflin

Re: The National Arms of Armenia

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 11 Sep 2013, 13:57

Here is my guess.
Quarterly: 1 Gules, a lion passant with a cross rising from its back Or 2 Azure, a double headed eagle Or 3 Azure, an octofoil between two eagles trussed regardant and addrosed Or 4 Gules, a Lion passant guardant holding a cross Or Inescutcheon: a Landscape of Mount Ararat with the flood waters receding and Noah's ark at the summit.
Supporters: to the Dexter an eagle regardant Or to the sinister a lion regardant Or
Compartment: A ribbon, a sword with a broken chain on the blade in front of a quill and a bundle of arrows in saltire Or

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 11 Sep 2013, 15:09

Ryan Shuflin wrote:Here is my guess.
Quarterly: 1 Gules, a lion passant with a cross rising from its back Or 2 Azure, a double headed eagle Or 3 Azure, an octofoil between two eagles trussed regardant and addrosed Or 4 Gules, a Lion passant guardant holding a cross Or Inescutcheon: a Landscape of Mount Ararat with the flood waters receding and Noah's ark at the summit.
Supporters: to the Dexter an eagle regardant Or to the sinister a lion regardant Or
Compartment: A ribbon, a sword with a broken chain on the blade in front of a quill and a bundle of arrows in saltire Or

Thanks for that Ryan. :D Although...

Wouldn't the first quarter be a lion passant to the sinister?

Wouldn't the third quarter be a roundel Or charged with an octofoil Or?

What tincture should we say the inescutcheon is?

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 11 Sep 2013, 18:39

The official description (not a blazon) is quoted here : http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/am).html .

As the four quarters are derived from various dynastic arms, perhaps if one can locate blazons for them, they may shed some light.

If the borders surrounding the four quarters and the inescutcheon are part of the design, rather than just heavy outlines, then they'd need to be blazoned too. Perhaps something along the lines of Quarterly, each quarter within a fillet bordure Argent ... ?
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 11 Sep 2013, 22:23

Jonathan Webster wrote:
Thanks for that Ryan. :D Although...

Wouldn't the first quarter be a lion passant to the sinister?

Wouldn't the third quarter be a roundel Or charged with an octofoil Or?

What tincture should we say the inescutcheon is?

I am assuming that the arms are respecting, such as with the arms of Schleswig-Holstein, and I believe in such cases, the direction the lion is facing is not mentioned (I may be wrong)

As far as the third quarter, I chose to simply call it an octofoil, because I think it is suppose to depict a flower.

The escutcheon is orange.

Arthur Radburn wrote:The official description (not a blazon) is quoted here : http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/am).html .

As the four quarters are derived from various dynastic arms, perhaps if one can locate blazons for them, they may shed some light.

If the borders surrounding the four quarters and the inescutcheon are part of the design, rather than just heavy outlines, then they'd need to be blazoned too. Perhaps something along the lines of Quarterly, each quarter within a fillet bordure Argent ... ?

The official description raises more questions than answers. If that translation is right, than the sword/arrows/chain should be on top of the shield. Also, the last of those dynasties ruled till 1350, I think before reliable blazon existed that far east. Also, the tincture of the charges are not detailed and I think neither is the supporters. So the charges are sometimes depicted as argent, and so is the eagle supporter. It also appears there were other very similar versions that have been superseded, but are still being used.

Torsten Laneryd

Postby Torsten Laneryd » 12 Sep 2013, 13:34

Ryan Shuflin wrote:
I am assuming that the arms are respecting, such as with the arms of Schleswig-Holstein, and I believe in such cases, the direction the lion is facing is not mentioned (I may be wrong)

The blazon for Schleswig-Holstein says "nach innen gewandte" =inturned.

Return to “General Heraldry”