New CoA for Computer Geeks

Postby Edward Hillenbrand » 15 Sep 2013, 00:13

Ed Hillenbrand

"Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori"

Armorial Register - International Register of Arm

Chris Green

Re: New CoA for Computer Geeks

Postby Chris Green » 15 Sep 2013, 06:39

Tut, tut Edward. If you are to be taken seriously on this forum, at least provide us with a blazon!

Four thoughts:

1) Why choose the nasty 17th/18th century baroque style to illustrate something 21st century?

2) No helm? No torse? No mantling?

3) The "signal strength" gizmo above the laptop "crest" is floating - another relic from the days of really bad heraldry.

4) Is the "gray" tincture intended? Gray is virtually only used by the US military heraldry people. It should be considered a colour rather than a metal, though I suspect it is considered to represent alumin(i)um. If it is really gray and a colour there are some humungous tincture faults. If it is meant to be argent what are the white lines edging the azure bendlets?
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

GSelvester

Postby GSelvester » 15 Sep 2013, 17:38

Chris Green wrote:The "signal strength" gizmo above the laptop "crest" is floating - another relic from the days of really bad heraldry.

Really? Someone had better tell that to the College of Arms who designed the arms of Prince Henry of Wales (aka Prince Harry) with a floating crest...in the 21st Century.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 15 Sep 2013, 20:43

Really? Someone had better tell that to the College of Arms who designed the arms of Prince Henry of Wales (aka Prince Harry) with a floating crest...in the 21st Century.

As ever British royal heraldry is unique unto itself. Doesn't make it good heraldry though. Floating crests are still a relic from the days of really bad heraldry.

(Perhaps someone would like to run with a new thread on why Prince Henry's CoA has no helm but a coronet and a crest coronet with a crest.)
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

GSelvester

Postby GSelvester » 16 Sep 2013, 04:20

So does the Duke of York, the Earl of Wessex, the Duke of Gloucester, the Duke of Kent. In addition, some other recently devised arms have floating crests (ex. Baron Sugar). They are also quite common in the coats of arms of clerics and private institutions of higher education. My point being that it is not the aberration from bygone days that you contend. Rather, that it is your opinion that it is "bad heraldry", and you're certainly not alone in that opinion, but not an objective fact.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 16 Sep 2013, 06:55

My point being that it is not the aberration from bygone days that you contend.

The floating crest and the baroque style achievement, as I recall, had their origins in the same historical period of heraldic development. So I stand by my my original view. The current achievements for the Royal Family are simply modern examples of the floating crest.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Edward Hillenbrand

Postby Edward Hillenbrand » 16 Sep 2013, 13:19

I didn't blazzon it as I was having problems with the proper word for pizza & coffee. Food perfectica? The Beverage of Life? :lol:
Ed Hillenbrand

"Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori"

Armorial Register - International Register of Arm

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 16 Sep 2013, 20:04

Surely the proper word for Pizza is Pizza and the proper word for Coffee is Coffee? The proper tinctue for Pizzas and Coffee could also be Proper. All very prim and Proper.
;-)
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry
http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk

Jeremy Kudlick

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 17 Sep 2013, 12:26

No, I agree that the proper term for Coffee is The Elixer of Life. :lol:
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow
Semper Patriam Servire Praesto

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 17 Sep 2013, 15:22

There seems to me to be two types of floating crest, one being a stylistic choice not to draw the helm another, being those "impossible" crests where some or all of the crest is not attached to anything. This emblazonment combines both. I actually like the artwork and it is mainly the shield itself that I have a problem with. It falls short as good design, heraldry, as well as describing computer programmers. I mean two of the four quarters are dedicated to high caffeine drinks, and the other two to junk food. I am not sure what the monkeys are for.

Return to “General Heraldry”