International Heraldry Day 2014

General Heraldry subjects
Chris Green

International Heraldry Day 2014

Postby Chris Green » 02 Dec 2013, 09:10

10 June 2014 may seem a long way off, but if I don't achieve anything else in my short tenure of office as President I should like the next International Heraldry Day to be a success.

For those who haven't heard of it before and those who have forgotten, last April Tomasz Steifer wrote the following explanation for the proposed date:
Polish Heraldic Community , in the persons of the representatives of the Board, Tomasz Steifer, Vice-President of PHC and Pawel S. Towpik, Secretary of the Board, proposes to create a new tradition - the International Day of heraldry. This was to a great, over political, international opportunity for meetings, conferences and taken away heraldic organization, heralds and heraldist of different countries and continents, to the posting of flags, especially heraldic, dress in heraldic tunics and tabards, etc.
We propose that this international day of heraldry at 10 June. On that day, in the year 1128, in Rouen was knighted, by his future father in law, Henry I Beauclerc, Godfrey Plantagenet. Suspended during the ceremony on the neck of a young knight shield blue decorated six golden lions, is recognized by most of the heralds, for the first time in history, fully formed coat of arms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Plantagenet,_Count_of_Anjou

Immediately after the New Year I propose to write to the heads of all the Heraldic Authorities encouraging them to do something special on 10 June. For example the College of Arms might hold an open day. But I would hope that we could do other things to ensure that 10 June becomes known as International Heraldry Day. Last time Jeremy Hammond did something on Facebook and Twitter. Could we prevail on you to do the same in 2014 Jeremy? Other ideas are very welcome, but don't feel you need to ask for permission, unless you want to use the IAAH as the vehicle for whatever you have in mind.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ryan Shuflin

Re: International Heraldry Day 2014

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 03 Dec 2013, 20:27

I have this idea to contact museums and castles etc. that have pieces of heraldic art and encourage them to use the day for promotion. Additionally, I would like to encourage members to get involved locally. Historic societies, libraries and schools all may be willing to host a talk on heraldry.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 03 Dec 2013, 20:47

Ryan Shuflin wrote:I have this idea to contact museums and castles etc. that have pieces of heraldic art and encourage them to use the day for promotion. Additionally, I would like to encourage members to get involved locally. Historic societies, libraries and schools all may be willing to host a talk on heraldry.

Excellent idea. It would be helpful if members could post the details of any museums or castles they know of that have particularly good heraldic exhibits.

I can immediately think of Stirling Castle in Scotland.

http://www.stirlingcastle.gov.uk/home/experience/palaceproject/palacedecoration.htm

though the easily irritated may wish to avoid clicking on "Create your own dynasty coat of arms"!
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 17 Jan 2014, 12:21

On 20 January I shall be dispatching letters or e-mails to a wide range of helraldic authorities and societies encouraging them to mark Int'l heraldry Day in some way.

If you are a member of another heraldic society may I urge you to lobby its leadership to recognise 10 June as Int'l Heraldry Day.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Lucas Garczewski

Postby Lucas Garczewski » 24 Mar 2014, 14:06

We could use http://thunderclap.com/ to get the message out on the web. Chris, what do you think? I can co-ordinate that (create an account, etc.).

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 24 Mar 2014, 15:29

All I get when I click on the link to thunderclap is a connection failure notice along with a header stating that the site is up for sale!
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry
http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 24 Mar 2014, 16:09

I had the same problem. Try:

https://www.thunderclap.it/en

The problem I foresee is that we may lack enough members with social media - me for one.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Kathy McClurg

Postby Kathy McClurg » 25 Mar 2014, 11:26

Interesting, never heard of thunderclap...

Chris, Do you have the draft letter? Perhaps some folks on the US side could be drawn in a bit...

Thanks!
Be well,
Kathy

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 25 Mar 2014, 11:53

The letter wasn't exactly the same to all the addressees. Here is what I wrote to the (English) Heraldry Society:

In the Spring of last year it was proposed by Tomasz Steifer and Pawel Towpik of the Polish Heraldic Community that 10 June should be celebrated as International Heraldry Day. It was on that day in 1128 that the fifteen year-old Geoffrey Plantagenet was knighted by his future father-in-law, King Henry the First. During the ceremony it is said that he was arrayed with a shield bearing a coat of arms, which, if true, is the first recorded grant of arms.
Admittedly, while there is no doubt that Geoffrey was dubbed a knight on that day prior to his wedding to the Empress Matilda, there is no absolute proof that the grant of arms occurred. But there is I believe no better candidate for the role of first recorded grantee of heraldic arms and therefore the Polish Heraldic Community’s proposal to celebrate 10 June as an International Heraldry Day seems felicitous.
The International Association of Amateur Heralds, of which I am President, has taken upon itself the task of encouraging heraldic authorities and societies around the world to recognise 10 June as International Heraldry Day and to celebrate it in whatever way seems appropriate – special exhibitions, lectures, competitions – indeed whatever can be done to celebrate the art and science of heraldry and bring it to the attention of the general public.
I hope that the Heraldry Society will be able to participate in this endeavour.

You would probably wish to use a more informal style. I did e-mail the AHS, ACH and RHS Canada by the way.

I have to say that my letters and e-mails met with virtually no response. Two that did respond thought that we were organising the Day, whereas I was encouraging them to do something suitable. I sometimes despair that people in all walks of life simply do not read the material that they receive, be it snail-mail or e-mail, they skim it and, if they respond at all it is to what they thought they read not what was actually written (I have recently experienced just this from the UK tax authorities!).
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Kathy McClurg

Postby Kathy McClurg » 11 Apr 2014, 19:45

I have been contacting administrators in the social networking world asking them if they minded we post something encouraging celebration/observance of International Heraldry Day. Some responded in the positive and some didn't respond. .. Jeremy Hammond has a facebook page up at

https://www.facebook.com/celebrateheraldry For those of you who would like to "like" it. Jeremy has also requested permission of Alexander Liptak to continue to use the badge he designed last year.

My intention is to promote the day and the face book page and perhaps have one day where "we" can all celebrate heraldry. As to events.. I think perhaps we need to leave it up to the localities...
Be well,
Kathy

Return to “General Heraldry”