Heraldic Cruelty to Birds and Animals

General Heraldry subjects
Chris Green

Heraldic Cruelty to Birds and Animals

Postby Chris Green » 15 May 2014, 13:26

I read on the Nordic "Heraldica" Forum that a politician in Denmark is campaigning to have the hoods on the falcons that feature on the CoA of the commune of Frederiksberg removed as falconry is cruel.

Frederiksberg commune, which forms part of greater Copenhagen, is the site of Frederiksberg Palace, the Danish Royal Family's former Summer residence. The CoA no doubt bears witness to this in its use of a crown, a castellated wall, trees and the falcons used in hunting. I suppose the falcons sans hoods might be appropriate for Copenhagen Zoo which is also in the commune, though keeping birds of prey in a zoo is more cruel than using them for falconry in my view.

(Oddly, the falcons as depicted are argent on argent which theoretically means that only the hoods and bells should be visible.)

So what other heraldic birds and animals should be "saved" from cruel treatment?
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Re: Heraldic Cruelty to Birds and Animals

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 15 May 2014, 14:17

Chris Green wrote:So what other heraldic birds and animals should be "saved" from cruel treatment?

One can only assume that in the case of the McClurg armorial bearings it was a "swift kill" and that (setting aside the fact that killing may in itself be considered to be cruel) no cruelty was involved :oops:

I'm sure that given the choice, the falcons would prefer a hood to an arrow!

Sorry Kathy - couldn't resist it.
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry
http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk

Ton de Witte

Postby Ton de Witte » 15 May 2014, 14:56

this one looks like it is in pain

the lion symbolizes the beheading of count Arnoud of Holland during a battle in the area. The arms are defunct since 2012.
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Terry Baldwin

Postby Terry Baldwin » 15 May 2014, 17:22

I am wondering, what he means; cruel to the birds or cruel to the prey.
Regards,

Terry Baldwin
IAAH Vice President: Heraldic Design

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 15 May 2014, 17:39

Terry Baldwin wrote:I am wondering, what he means; cruel to the birds or cruel to the prey.

If you mean the Danish politician, he presumably means the birds, though those opposed to hunting would include the prey, despite killing small animals being what falcons do - nature red in tooth and claw.

Falconry was clearly very important in Denmark, both as a sport and in diplomacy. Here is an interesting site:

http://users.cybercity.dk/~ccc12787/hist/dk1.html
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Iain Boyd

Postby Iain Boyd » 15 May 2014, 22:43

This post reminds me of a report I read recently about Prince William (I think).

Apparently he is concerned about the killing of elephants for their ivory and believes that all artifacts in the royal collections made of ivory should be burnt/destroyed in line with what some African countries are doing with confiscated ivory.

I have got to say that I have never heard of a more stupid idea.

I suppose the sceptre in the Scottish crown jewels would be the first to go?

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Torsten Laneryd

Postby Torsten Laneryd » 16 May 2014, 10:59

Terry Baldwin wrote:I am wondering, what he means; cruel to the birds or cruel to the prey.

The politician wants to get rid of the hoods but sais that the falcons may have bells to show what they are.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 16 May 2014, 11:04

Iain Boyd wrote:This post reminds me of a report I read recently about Prince William (I think). Apparently he is concerned about the killing of elephants for their ivory and believes that all artifacts in the royal collections made of ivory should be burnt/destroyed in line with what some African countries are doing with confiscated ivory.

The Danish throne chair, reputedly made of unicorn horns, would certainly have to go.

Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 16 May 2014, 11:08

Keeping wild unicorns (and indeed lions) as pets must be considered cruel.

Now look here Yseult, I know there has been a social media rumour that your morals are no better than they ought to be, but bringing a unicorn home to prove you are a virgin is just not on! It's driving Leo right up the flag-pole.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 17 May 2014, 12:12

Well the behaded Lion of the Swedish municipality of Staffanstorp is perhaps beyond saving ;-)

Picture by Vladimir Sagerlund formerly Heraldic Painter to the Swedish State Archives. This is based on the Seal of the Hundred of Bara known since 1524. Staffanstorp incorprates most of the Parishes that was part of Bara.

Return to “General Heraldry”