International Register of Arms

General Heraldry subjects
Edward Hillenbrand

International Register of Arms

Postby Edward Hillenbrand » 19 May 2014, 01:37

I recently registered my arms with International Register of Arms, a division of Burke's Peerage. While browsing their my listing I noticed that they left off my registration form the IAAH. Then I looked at their list of heraldry societies and organizations and again noticed we were not listed. Is there a reason for this omissions?

Also, if anyone has information about the International Register of Arms as far as checking to ensure that arms do not infringe on other armigers and such protections it would be appreciated.
Ed Hillenbrand

"Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori"

Armorial Register - International Register of Arm

Chris Green

Re: International Register of Arms

Postby Chris Green » 19 May 2014, 05:49

Edward Hillenbrand wrote:I recently registered my arms with International Register of Arms, a division of Burke's Peerage. While browsing their my listing I noticed that they left off my registration form the IAAH. Then I looked at their list of heraldry societies and organizations and again noticed we were not listed. Is there a reason for this omissions?

Given the number of members of this illustrious body who are connected with the Int'l Register, I must say I do find the omission odd.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 19 May 2014, 11:47

As a founder director of The Armorial Register Limited I would like to answer Edward's questions as they arise.

The Register records the granting authority, where there is one, along with “other” private registrations such as (for example) The American College of Heraldry, The United States Heraldic Registry or “L'Hérault d'Armes de l'Ile de France”. The IAAH does not set itself up to be a private register of arms so it would be inappropriate to record arms as being “registered” with the IAAH. The IAAH simply provides its members with a roll of arms of its membership as do a number of societies and associations.

The lack of any mention of the IAAH in the links page for societies and associations is more of an oversight possibly caused by the fact that the directors take great pains to avoid any conflict between their commercial activities and their hobby activities. Because I am also a member of the Board of the Association I take particular care to ensure that I do not find myself in danger of a conflict of interest. Perhaps a formal request from the President to info@armorialregister.com would see an immediate remedy of this oversight?

Perhaps most important of all, I must address the comment which states that The Armorial Register Limited is a division of Burke’s Peerage.
The directors of The Armorial Register Limited enjoyed a close working relationship with Burke’s but we had long been aware that all was not well in the Burke’s stable. On the 27th Sept 2011 we made the following announcement:

Over the next few days browsers of the website of The Armorial Register will notice that a number of changes have taken place, the most important of which is the return of the branding to the now established name of The Armorial Register – International Register of Arms.

For a number of years The Armorial Register Limited has enjoyed a special relationship with the owners and directors of Burkes Peerage & Gentry (UK) Ltd and has been pleased to licence the name of Burke’s Peerage & Gentry for use with its International Register of Arms. Over the last few months Burkes Peerage & Gentry (UK) Ltd has been subjected to negotiations towards a private business sale and this is, as far as the directors of The Armorial Register Limited are aware, progressing towards a successful completion. The sale of Burkes Peerage & Gentry (UK) Ltd will mean a complete change in ownership and therefore management of the Burke’s company.

With this in mind, the directors of The Armorial Register Limited and the outgoing board of Burkes Peerage & Gentry (UK) Ltd have decided that it is now an appropriate time to end our agreement. The Armorial Register Limited will continue to publish its International Register of Arms (entries are now being received for Volume 2) along with its latest project “A Celebration of Scottish Heraldry” (see the web site for the contributors to this project). A future planned publication is a similar volume to celebrate English Heraldry.

We wish the outgoing team at Burke’s all the very best for the future.

To the best of our knowledge and belief the former owners of Burkes Peerage & Gentry (UK) Ltd could not in fact sell the company because it was not a viable going concern and it was burdened with debt; they instead sold all the rights to the names Burke's Peerage and Burke's Peerage & Gentry along with all copyrights to their publications to a new company along with the legal agreement that Burkes Peerage & Gentry (UK) Ltd would immediately change its name to one not associated with the trading name Burke's and then petition to be wound up.

In effect Burkes Peerage & Gentry (UK) Ltd no longer exists and the company now enjoying the “Burke's” brand is a totally new creation which has simply purchased the brand name and continues to sell the remaindered titles; it has no association with any past ownership.

Finally, in regard to the efforts made to ensure that arms do not infringe on the rights of others, I refer all to our published acceptance policy which can be found here http://www.armorialregister.com/acceptance-policy.html .The relevant section is:

It will be the aim of the editor to ensure that all armorial bearings within the International Armorial are genuine and the persons whose names are included therein will be expected to give an undertaking that the information they have furnished is true in every respect. Where an armiger uses assumed arms he will be expected to satisfy the register that prior to their assumption every effort was made to ensure that the blazon could not be mistaken for any other coat of arms already in use by another person, body or corporation. If however, the editor should discover that any record may not conform to the information supplied then the relevant entry may be deleted from the register until the point at issue has been resolved.

The Armorial Register is of course pleased to accept armorial bearings which have been created through the IAAH design process as the directors are fully satisfied that the appropriate checks will have been carried out.

I hope this has been of some assistance.
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry
http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 19 May 2014, 12:23

Thank you Martin for that comprehensive response. I agree - the President must forthwith tackle the Int'l Register about the omssion of a link to the IAAH.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Edward Hillenbrand

Postby Edward Hillenbrand » 19 May 2014, 15:35

Thank you Martin. That has cleared up a number of questions and corrected several wrong ones.
Ed Hillenbrand

"Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori"

Armorial Register - International Register of Arm

J Duncan of Sketraw

Postby J Duncan of Sketraw » 19 May 2014, 16:10

I have added a link to the Armorial Register International Register of Arms. I have no idea why there wasn't one up there considering I added all the links :?

Kathy McClurg

Postby Kathy McClurg » 22 May 2014, 01:33

To add one more comment. All of the registrations I've done with the Armorial Register I have taken great pains to name the IAAH as the organization who provided design assistance where that was a fact.

My father's arms states: The arms were designed by the IAAH

All others State: The arms were designed with the gracious assistance of the IAAH. (only because the IAAH refused full credit which they deserved in all cases except my arms)

I also include the artist's name in each entry - I consider that appropriate...

You are welcome to include such comments or credits in the text of your entry...
Be well,
Kathy

Return to “General Heraldry”