Library donations

General Heraldry subjects
Terry Baldwin

Library donations

Postby Terry Baldwin » 21 May 2014, 12:39

I am making arrangements thru a trust for the ultimate deposal of my heraldic library. In looking into this, I found, that it is easier said than done. The physical library seems to be slowly dying away, and I am of an age where "curling up" with a good book was something to be looked forward to, not turned into a challenge to find material worth looking at.

I would appreciate any and all thoughts on the matter of the library, as my family members, have not expressed any interest in keeping the library together after I am gone.

Are private libraries dying out, or I am just not looking up the right alley?

Looking forward to your thoughts on this,
Regards,

Terry Baldwin
IAAH Vice President: Heraldic Design

Chris Green

Re: Library donations

Postby Chris Green » 21 May 2014, 13:29

Would I be wrong in thinking that an heraldic library might be somewhat esoteric for California (more renowned for silicon valley than for heraldic research)? You probably need to spread your net wider, which in this day and age means literally using the (inter)net. The problem as I see it is that you almost certainly do not wish to dispose of the books now, but leave them to someone or some institution when either you pass on or lack the capacity to give the books the attention they deserve. The history faculties of universities may be a possibility, but perhaps you have tried those locally.

Perhaps you could give us a bit more background. An idea of the book-list might help.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Terry Baldwin

Postby Terry Baldwin » 21 May 2014, 16:17

Chris,

I believe a list was supplied to Martin when I first joined. I not sure I can attach a list (PDF) to the forum. I would like, come to think of it, figure out the rare or useful books, from the common ones. Is there a place where the list can be viewed outside of the forum reply format?

As far as California being the heartbeat of heraldic research, I have not found much evidence of that, although there are several members of AHS out here. The local libraries, public and otherwise, strike me as being indifferent to any specific subject. All the responses are couched in terms of "sure we will take them, but if we do not like them, they will be sold off". That hopefully you can tell is the last thing I would wish.
Regards,

Terry Baldwin

Jeremy Kudlick

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 23 May 2014, 12:13

Terry - if you don't have a way to upload the PDF file anywhere, I can post it with my ISP's complementary hosting and provide a link to it here.
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow
Semper Patriam Servire Praesto

Terry Baldwin

Postby Terry Baldwin » 23 May 2014, 15:17

Thank you Jeremy, that would be very kind. Do I email it to you?
Regards,

Terry Baldwin

Jeremy Kudlick

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 23 May 2014, 20:21

Terry's Library

I know a good home for the lot. I just have to build a bookshelf to hold them. ;)
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow

Terry Baldwin

Postby Terry Baldwin » 23 May 2014, 23:27

Well Jeremy, if I were ready to dispose of them right now, they would be in boxes on their way to you. However, I am still making heavy use of them myself. If you are willing to wait for them I will make you my heir!

Regards,
Regards,

Terry Baldwin

Jeremy Kudlick

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 24 May 2014, 12:19

That sounds like a plan! :D
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow

Return to “General Heraldry”