Web sites to Register Arms

General Heraldry subjects
Edward Hillenbrand

Web sites to Register Arms

Postby Edward Hillenbrand » 22 Dec 2014, 00:48

What are people's thoughts on web sites such as AssumeArms.com and such? There is no fee for sending in your arms, but it just doesn't seem right to me. It isn't as bad as "The Principality of Hutt River", but ... .
Last edited by Edward Hillenbrand on 25 Dec 2014, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Hillenbrand

"Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori"

Armorial Register - International Register of Arm

Ryan Shuflin

Re: Web sights to Register Arms

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 22 Dec 2014, 06:46

To me, there is only value in having one's arms registered on a reputable site, of which there are few. The specific example Assumearms.com is a marketing ploy by the artist Michael Richards. I don't know the actual quality of his work, but his website strikes me as being neither of great nor horrible quality. I am suspicious of the lack of a photograph of a final rendering, and am confused by the distinction he draws between a coat of arms and an achievement.

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 22 Dec 2014, 15:24

The U.S. Heraldic Registry is now back up and running: reputable, knowledgeable, and free.

http://usheraldicregistry.com/index.php?n=Main.HomePage
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Mark Henderson

Postby Mark Henderson » 22 Dec 2014, 17:25

It's nice to have the United States Heraldic Registry back in operation. My arms were recently registered with the USHR.
Regards,

Mark Anthony Henderson
IAAH Fellow : Former Design Assistance Request Team Artist

Edward Hillenbrand

Postby Edward Hillenbrand » 23 Dec 2014, 23:12

Glad to see that. I know it is a LOT of work to keep a web site up & running.
Ed Hillenbrand

"Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori"

Armorial Register - International Register of Arm

andrewkerensky

Postby andrewkerensky » 27 Dec 2014, 22:18

Post removed.
Last edited by andrewkerensky on 19 Apr 2015, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.

Kathy McClurg

Re: Web sites to Register Arms

Postby Kathy McClurg » 09 Feb 2015, 18:07

andrewkerensky wrote:I believe one online registration company also plans on issuing books so that you can view other Amigers arms and the rationale no doubt behind them.

Volume I of this company is already published: http://www.armorial-register.com/

There are divergent philosophies about registrations. Interestingly enough many of the conversations about this seldom mention that the main function of Lyon Court, College of Arms, Canadian Heraldic Authority, etc. is - in fact - registration.

For locations without government backed registration services, registration of arms serves no great purpose other than to publicize that you have assumed arms. If you are on the member's roll here or had your arms designed here, the gallery serves the same purpose.

Having said that, my personal opinion is that registration online is ok, but incomplete - just as registration with hard copy publication without online presence is incomplete. I am also of the opinion one should register at a minimum with someone of some heraldic knowledge. I also believe in registration within your country of origin if the service can be found. Just wandering through assumearms.com gives one the impression that not only does the site owner know little of heraldry - the armigers (generally) do not. Within the US we have a number of decent registries - however, they are either online or hard copy - not both. So, grabbed the free one and looked internationally... :D
Be well,
Kathy

andrewkerensky

Postby andrewkerensky » 09 Feb 2015, 22:44

Post removed.
Last edited by andrewkerensky on 19 Apr 2015, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.

Kathy McClurg

Postby Kathy McClurg » 10 Feb 2015, 11:34

Yes, Assumearms is free... so is the USHR... Assumearms obviously knows little of heraldry in general and, frankly, I'd not want my arms displayed there... on the other hand... USHR is knowledgeable has some standards which are consistent with US heraldry practices.. and is free as well... <shrug>

Unfortunately they do not publish in hard copy... which is why I went to a second service.. which does cost, but when Volume II is published it will be in libraries and personal homes and have an ISBN number... And I can buy a copy... I like that and was willing to pay for it.. :D
Be well,
Kathy

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 10 Feb 2015, 17:26

The Committee on Heraldry of the New England Historic Genealogical Society is in the process of putting its register online, which will be a great historical resource, but it doesn't publish newly assumed arms in any form, merely records them in its archives. I know there is at least one member of the committee who would like to go beyond this, but thus far the committee is limited by its mandate from the society as a whole. At this point, only arms of foreign origin that were brought to the U.S. before 1917 can be registered and published in the NEHGS "Roll of Arms."
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Return to “General Heraldry”