Newsletter Number 1

General Heraldry subjects
Chas Charles-Dunne

Newsletter Number 1

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 28 Feb 2015, 16:16

As I write this, the first newsletter is winging its way through the interwebs to an inbox near you.

Feedback is desirable and encouraged. All you budding authors out there - make your presence known.

Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

Chas Charles-Dunne

Re: Newsletter Number 1

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 28 Feb 2015, 22:06

Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 01 Mar 2015, 17:59

Thank you, Chas and the Board, for this initiative.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 02 Mar 2015, 22:30

Well done.

Benjamin Thornton

Postby Benjamin Thornton » 04 Mar 2015, 16:57

A little light on actual news, wouldn't you say?

No updates on any of the work of the association, or the board? Given the recent posts about completed design assistance requests, perhaps a report on requests currently in the pipeline.

I congratulate the initiative, but find the result a bit skinny.
Ben

Saepe Ridete Beneque

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 04 Mar 2015, 17:22

The Board has been aware for some time that there are Members out there who for various reasons no longer follow the Forum. The Newsletter is intended to reach out to all IAAH members, not just those who follow the Forum, which is why it is sent by e-mail. We certainly do not intend that it should simply mirror the Forum's content. Rather that it should bring to all the membership an interesting taste heraldry with lots of pictures and perhaps encourage Members whose interest has cooled to visit the Forum. Perhaps Newsletter is the wrong word. Any alternatives?
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Kathy McClurg

Postby Kathy McClurg » 04 Mar 2015, 23:25

Benjamin Thornton wrote:A little light on actual news, wouldn't you say?

No updates on any of the work of the association, or the board? Given the recent posts about completed design assistance requests, perhaps a report on requests currently in the pipeline.

Given that it's a "first" and as Chris said, intended to reach out to the membership... It has also requested inputs from the membership... Perhaps, Benjamin, you'd like to contribute to the next one.

Having said that - I don't know if it would be too far of a reach for a few bits of information like
IAAH Completed DARS as of <date>: <number>
IAAH Completed DARS this Calender year: <number>
DARs requested this Calender year: <number>
DARs in process: <number>

Please welcome our new members... X, Y, Z...

These could be offered sporadically, not necessarily required each month.. but I agree, the newsletter shouldn't be merely a repeat of the forums...

Perhaps a "note from the President", "Note from the board", "Note from the VP Education" or something of a few paragraphs each month/issue/quarter?

Couple bits like that... <shrug>
Be well,
Kathy

Mark Henderson

Postby Mark Henderson » 05 Mar 2015, 01:22

I am not sure if it has been addressed, but I offer the following names as possible newsletter titles: The Herald, The Blazon, or The Shield.
Regards,

Mark Anthony Henderson
IAAH Fellow : Former Design Assistance Request Team Artist

Benjamin Thornton

Postby Benjamin Thornton » 06 Mar 2015, 03:59

Kathy McClurg wrote:
Benjamin Thornton wrote:A little light on actual news, wouldn't you say?

Given that it's a "first" and as Chris said, intended to reach out to the membership... It has also requested inputs from the membership... Perhaps, Benjamin, you'd like to contribute to the next one.

Having said that - I don't know if it would be too far of a reach for a few bits of information like
IAAH Completed DARS as of <date>: <number>
IAAH Completed DARS this Calender year: <number>
DARs requested this Calender year: <number>
DARs in process: <number>

Please welcome our new members... X, Y, Z...

These could be offered sporadically, not necessarily required each month.. but I agree, the newsletter shouldn't be merely a repeat of the forums...

Perhaps a "note from the President", "Note from the board", "Note from the VP Education" or something of a few paragraphs each month/issue/quarter?

Couple bits like that... <shrug>

"Given that it's a "first" and as Chris said, intended to reach out to the membership..."

This appears to be an incomplete thought. Was it to have been an explanation of the format of the newsletter?

And no, I've nothing to contribute at present, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see something a little more useful.

Typically, organizational newsletters will update members on what the board/staff is doing, outside issues that affect the organization's work or mission, upcoming events, special projects, etc. These would all make good elements for future newsletters. Certainly we all love looking at heraldic artwork, but a newsletter should be more than a few pictures.

I understand the concern about rehashing the forum, but if part of the intent is to draw members back to the forum, then it might be a good idea to provide specific reasons. "Come check out the latest completed DARs", for example, or "a recent debate about topic X."

Feedback was invited, so there you have it.
Ben

Saepe Ridete Beneque

Kathy McClurg

Postby Kathy McClurg » 06 Mar 2015, 09:22

Kathy McClurg wrote:

The complete thought was:
1. It's a first intended to reach out to the membership
2. It has requested inputs from the membership
3. Perhaps (now that one has been started and has reached out to the membership) you would like to contribute to the next one.

Sorry if it was unclear.
Be well,
Kathy

Return to “General Heraldry”