Postby Ton de Witte » 10 Jun 2015, 08:29

Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Kathy McClurg

Re: Happy International Heraldry Day 2015

Postby Kathy McClurg » 10 Jun 2015, 12:32

Stupendous, Ton!

size for forums.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be well,
Kathy

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 10 Jun 2015, 16:38

I like your drawing, Ton -- especially the helmet!

(I see, by the way, that Lord Lyon is observing International Heraldry Day : https://twitter.com/LyonCourt/media )
Regards
Arthur Radburn

J Duncan of Sketraw

Postby J Duncan of Sketraw » 11 Jun 2015, 17:57

I think your rendition looks splendid Ton :)
Last edited by J Duncan of Sketraw on 12 Jun 2015, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

Ton de Witte

Postby Ton de Witte » 12 Jun 2015, 08:23

Thanks, Kathy, Arthur and John.
Ton de Witte
IAAH secretary

Terry Baldwin

Postby Terry Baldwin » 12 Jun 2015, 15:35

Very nicely done Ton, my congratulations excellent work.
Regards,

Terry Baldwin
IAAH Vice President: Heraldic Design

Mark Henderson

Postby Mark Henderson » 13 Jun 2015, 13:38

Nice artwork. Very well done!
Regards,

Mark Anthony Henderson
IAAH Fellow : Former Design Assistance Request Team Artist

Claus K Berntsen

Postby Claus K Berntsen » 14 Jun 2015, 22:45

How did you all celebrate International Heraldry Day?

In Lund our local heraldry society, Societas Heraldica Lundensis, had it's bi-annual assembly general, followed by a lecture on the Forbes birth brief in the collections of the Lund University Library by Carl-Thomas von Christierson. Afterwards we had a good dinner at the Grand Hotel (black tie optional).

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 15 Jun 2015, 06:09

Claus K Berntsen wrote:How did you all celebrate International Heraldry Day?

In Lund our local heraldry society, Societas Heraldica Lundensis, had it's bi-annual assembly general, followed by a lecture on the Forbes birth brief in the collections of the Lund University Library by Carl-Thomas von Christierson. Afterwards we had a good dinner at the Grand Hotel (black tie optional).

Sadly Karlstad is rather too far from Lund for me to attend the meetings of SHL, so I, like most of us am somewhat mystified by the "Forbes birth brief" you refer to. I strongly suspect that the translation into English was less than perfect and that this in fact refers to letters (brev in Swedish).

If so the Forbes in question was Lord Forbes a Scottish nobleman of the mid-16th century, writing about the Scottish origins of a Swede named Hans (Johannes) Stewart. Hans Stewart was granted the right by Scottish King James VI (in a letter dated 14 June 1585) to bear the arms of Lord Ochiltree differenced by an inescutcheon azure three mullets argent. It is likely that Hans Stewart was the illegitimate son of Andrew Stewart, 2nd Lord Ochiltree.

If Claus or anyone else wishes to discuss this further I will arrange for a new thread to be opened.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Claus K Berntsen

Postby Claus K Berntsen » 15 Jun 2015, 08:30

Chris Green wrote:
Claus K Berntsen wrote:How did you all celebrate International Heraldry Day?

Sadly Karlstad is rather too far from Lund for me to attend the meetings of SHL, so I, like most of us am somewhat mystified by the "Forbes birth brief" you refer to. I strongly suspect that the translation into English was less than perfect and that this in fact refers to letters (brev in Swedish).

If so the Forbes in question was Lord Forbes a Scottish nobleman of the mid-16th century, writing about the Scottish origins of a Swede named Hans (Johannes) Stewart. Hans Stewart was granted the right by Scottish King James VI (in a letter dated 14 June 1585) to bear the arms of Lord Ochiltree differenced by an inescutcheon azure three mullets argent. It is likely that Hans Stewart was the illegitimate son of Andrew Stewart, 2nd Lord Ochiltree.

If Claus or anyone else wishes to discuss this further I will arrange for a new thread to be opened.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about it to have a proper discussion, but it's not letters, but rather Letters Patent from the King of Scotland certifying that the holder was a nobleman, and who his armorial ancestors were, and it was used to gain entry into the Swedish House of Nobility. The lecture by Carl-Thomas von Christierson was given in a shorter form at the International Congress in Oslo last year, and will be published in the coming proceedings.

Return to “General Heraldry”