21st Century Supporters

General Heraldry subjects
Chris Green

21st Century Supporters

Postby Chris Green » 03 Nov 2015, 08:25

Discussion of the naked human form as supporters elsewhere led to the thought that if not described with a tincture an artist might use the last tincture mentioned in the blazon - azure - to depict an Avatar (blue pointy-eared extra-terrestrial from the eponymous film).

This set me thinking that our ancestors were pretty good at using the images of their own time, and when reality became boring the imagination took over. So .... I was wondering what supporters might be "in" for post-modern times. Let's keep our thoughts concentrated on supporters for the time being. Crests and charges may follow.

I know it's soooo last century (1979 actually), but what about Alien?

But then how would that be blazoned? An Alien proper? People who cavil at Caucasian might find that hard to swallow.

Ladies and gentlemen, the floor is yours!
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Michael F. McCartney

Re: 21st Century Supporters

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 03 Nov 2015, 16:16

Old-time supporters were (or are by now) mostly beings that most reasonably well informed observers will recognize with a minimum of explicitly stated details. Shapes and colors will often be obvious (essentially "default" or "proper") so only really need to be mentioned if different from what one would expect - e.g. a dragon is generally green so only need to specify if it's red or blue or if the wings are a different color.

If/when we move to extra-terrestial beasties, which for the time being are all creatures of the imagination, there isn't a default for e.g. an Alien Proper. Is it a little green fellow, or an eight-foot or eight-footed bug, or a blue dude with a tail, or the grey folk with big eyes from Area 52? One could specify which movie or sci-fi paperback it's from, but movies and best sellers come and go; and movie remakes and second editions often have quite different images.

So that leaves us searching for a reasonable balance between brevity and sufficiency, hopefully (though I'm not very hopeful) not always ending with "... as is shown more clearly in the margin" or "click here."

This doesn't answer the question posed, it merely expands on the question.

(And for "my fellow Americans" it only increases my adversion to display in this country of any supporters, old or new; though the same concerns will apply to sci-fi beasties as shield charges and crests if & when the Star Wars / Star Trek generations turn to heraldry!)
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 03 Nov 2015, 23:32

Michael F. McCartney wrote:...if & when the Star Wars / Star Trek generations turn to heraldry!)

The Star Trek generation better hurry up or it's going to be too late!
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 04 Nov 2015, 05:08

Fear not, there's a new TV series being planned so a new generation of Trekkies may be expected.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Chas Charles-Dunne

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 04 Nov 2015, 10:15

Chris Green wrote:

Fear not, there's a new TV series being planned so a new generation of Trekkies may be expected.

I really do not know how true it is, but I was reliably told when Star Trek was current that we were officially known as Trekkers.
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 04 Nov 2015, 11:02

I really do not know how true it is, but I was reliably told when Star Trek was current that we were officially known as Trekkers.

Both terms seem to be in use. The two factions are probably deadly enemies.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 04 Nov 2015, 11:17

Star Wars, as distinct from Star Trek, has also produced several iconic characters and types : Jedi knights, C3PO et al. Two Jedi knights holding light-sabres might look quite imposing as supporters, but I imagine that there would be copyright or trade mark considerations.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 04 Nov 2015, 13:07

Chris Green wrote:
But then how would that be blazoned? An Alien proper? People who cavil at Caucasian might find that hard to swallow.

Ladies and gentlemen, the floor is yours!

I did some research, the Alien is also called a Xenomorph, which is, I think specific to the film. I would blazon it a Xenomorph Sable, although for the sake of argument the term Alien was used, it could be blazoned the Alien from the film Alien sable. The only other option I could think of would be to describe the alien in some detail.

Michael F. McCartney

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 04 Nov 2015, 17:35

...or "as is more clearly depicted in the margin..." - which is sounding better the more we discuss this!

If this group wants supporters, how about Jar-Jar Binks and Jabba the Hut? :)
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 04 Nov 2015, 17:45

So far all the suggestions have been sooooo last century. I know. It's my fault for starting with Alien.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “General Heraldry”