Arms I made for a Colleague.

The depictions of coats of arms
Marcus Karlsson

Arms I made for a Colleague.

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 14 Jun 2017, 20:13

This is the Armorial Bearings I made for my colleague Natalia Sjögren.

Michael F. McCartney

Re: Arms I made for a Colleague.

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 17 Jun 2017, 08:18

Nice! - though they would show better on a
contrasting background, maybe a light grey-green?
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 17 Jun 2017, 13:16

Michael F. McCartney wrote:Nice! - though they would show better on a
contrasting background, maybe a light grey-green?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Torsten Laneryd

Postby Torsten Laneryd » 17 Jun 2017, 16:08

I have read your interesting article about how these arms developed from scratch, Marcus. You had the same ideas from the beginning, but quite a different result at the end. Only the crest was the same through the process. Well done :!:

Michael F. McCartney

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 17 Jun 2017, 17:36

The suggestion for a grey-green background was from the late Carl von Volborth's "The Art of Heraldry" - in that case, his rendition of the arms of George Washington, also red & white. The "secret" is to find a background that contrasts with the major colors of the arms, without overpowering or distracting from the arms. For red & white arms, a muted grey-green woks well; though depending on context (e.g. if the arms are displayed in a room with colored walls) a muted blue-gray or whatever might work better.

I don't recall your article re: the design process (at 72, an all too common experience) - is there a link? - but the result is very nice!
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Torsten Laneryd

Postby Torsten Laneryd » 17 Jun 2017, 20:04

The article I have read is published in Swedish in VAPENBILDEN, a member magazine for The Swedish Heraldry Society. Not on internet yet.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 28 Jun 2017, 18:01

Thanks Torsten Laneryd, Yes the Crest is the part that was quite clear from the Beginning. It alludes to the name Natalia that comes from Dies Natalis = The Birthday (that is of Jesus). The Fleur-the-Lys was chosen as it is a symbol of St Mary the mother of Jesus.

The Field shows the per pale wavy symbolising the first part of the last name Sjö = Sea. The Rose Branches alludes to the Gren part of the last name, gren = branch. The Roses also symbolises her interest in Flowers and Plants, and is also another Marian Symbol.

Michael F. McCartney Yes that would add a nice thouch to the picture, will laborate on the subject and see how it turns out. Yes as Torsten wrote this is an Article I wrote in the latest number of the Vapenbilden. It is not published on the Internet but I can give a quick referate. The article traces the ideas I had that led to the result shown. From the begining I wanted to make the Arms canting and made different ideas on the Subject of Sea and Branches. They was presented to Natalia which liked the one shown the most. The article also presents the meaning of the Arms as I have written above.
Last edited by Marcus Karlsson on 01 Jul 2017, 13:54, edited 3 times in total.

Michael F. McCartney

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 30 Jun 2017, 19:04

Very nice symbolism - thanks for sharing!
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 30 Aug 2017, 19:18

Has done a rough translation of the Article into English-

The Creation of a Coat of Arms

To create a Coat of Arms is one of the most fun part of Heraldry. Which had led me to create several Arms for my work collegues, One of the Coat of Arms that I have created is for my Collegue Natalia Sjögren. During the creative process I also recieved valued ideas as to the composition from the discussion on Heraldica the Internet Forum of the Swedish Heraldry Society.

Proposal for motives
I began with the Motive. Can it based on the Surname be created a canting Arms? With this thought in mind I created different proposals based on the Combination Sjö + Gren. One of these felt more right than the others and was to be the motive of the Shield.

Next the Crest. As my Collegue is named Natalia which is comes from the words Dies Natalis, that is The Birthday. The Birthday is question is that of Jesus, which led us to chose the Fleur de Lys as symbol of Mary mother of Jesus.

Which colours are to be chosen?
When it com to the tinctures, we did after som laboration with the combination Azure and Argent, finaly chose Gules and Argent. Which was the Colours of the Arms of the former Rural Municpality of Boo, where Natalia grew up.

The process finaly produced four propsals which where given to Natalia, for her to chose which she liked the most (see the illustrations). The choice was to be number 3.

Blason of which is:
Per pale wavy Gules and Argent, two Rose Branches in saltire counterchanged.
Mantling Gules doubled Argent.
Crest A Fleur-de- Lys per pale wavy Gules and Argent.

The Wavy partition and Rose Branches makes the Arms canting. The Wave for Sjö- and the Rose Branches for – gren. They also symbolises interest in flowers and plants. As mentioned earlier the Crest symbolises her first name.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 30 Aug 2017, 19:24

Pictures of the other proposals

Return to “Heraldic Art”