Halloween 2012

The depictions of coats of arms
steven harris

Halloween 2012

Postby steven harris » 20 Oct 2012, 21:09

My company has decided to boost morale with a less-than-optional costume party this Hallowe'en.

With no better options having presented themselves, I have decided to go as a medieval knight. Since I have assumed arms (which most of my coworkers have seen over my desk anyway), and since I have ready access to a seamstress (my wife’s aunt), I have might as well go all-in and wear a heraldically correct surcoat. Right?

From what I can gather, a proper surcoat extended about mid-calf to knee-length, had slits in the bottom front and back (to facilitate wear on horseback), and was without sleeves (with sleeves would be a tabard, worn by my livery).

Their historical purpose was to protect the armor from baking in direct sun, and to keep it from corroding from the rain and muck of the battlefield. (that doesn’t effect my costume, just more background info.)

The surcoat was also emblazoned with the same design as the shield to aide in his battlefield identification.

Arms of Sir Thomas Erpingham (1357-1428 ); and Sir Thomas at Agincourt, 1415:
Image Image

I am assuming that the design would have also been repeated on the back as well. Since my arms are symmetrical, I don’t have to worry about which way the design on the back would “respect”.

Is that all more-or-less correct? Any additional information would be most welcomed!
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

Chas Charles-Dunne

Re: Halloween 2012

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 21 Oct 2012, 00:04

I am assuming that the design would have also been repeated on the back as well. Since my arms are symmetrical, I don’t have to worry about which way the design on the back would “respect”.

I don't think you would have to worry about respecting. That was a concept that was introduced or invented long after surcoats stopped being used.
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 21 Oct 2012, 06:16

The most important question is the one you haven't asked! What material should be used? Clearly nothing involving polyester or other synthetic materials. Egyptian cotton would be eminently suitable, though rather expensive I imagine. Cotton from somewhere else would be quite acceptable, as would hessian/burlap. Silk would be great, but I don't imagine that knights used silk for combat (are you intending to fight anyone at this party?). Wool would be OK if you kept your chevauchee indoors. I would favour wadmal, but it was never popular outside the nordic lands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadmal

Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 23 Oct 2012, 13:35

What are you going to do for armor?

Return to “Heraldic Art”