Heraldic Pencil Art

The depictions of coats of arms
Ce Jamieson

Heraldic Pencil Art

Postby Ce Jamieson » 08 Apr 2013, 18:25

You can see an artist's true skill level when you provide them with nothing but a pencil and a sheet of paper and ask them to create. I did that to my husband one Saturday afternoon and over the days that followed he created a beautiful collection for us and our friends. He took their arms and brought their heraldic beasts to life using nothing more than a number two pencil and a piece of paper. It's a fun series that I thought you might enjoy.

The arms can be seen here:

http://pinterest.com/pin/429038301970930970/

and pencil artwork here:

http://pinterest.com/pin/429038301970933523/

If someone can please post these images to the forum for me I'd be grateful. I'm not quite sure how to upload images. Thank you!

Jeremy Kudlick

Re: Heraldic Pencil Art

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 08 Apr 2013, 19:01

I have been awed by Andy's work since I first saw it a few years ago. His pencil work here is amazing!

Posting a Pinterest folder is better than trying to post 16 or so individual pictures, so you did a good job there. :)
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow
Semper Patriam Servire Praesto

Peter Harling

Postby Peter Harling » 08 Apr 2013, 19:31

Yes, the pencil work here is quite spectacular. Andy's true talent is seen at its best when the constraint of a blazen is removed! Whilst he is an exceptionally talented heraldic artist his finest creations are to be seen in his illumination and illustration. These IMHO compare with the old medieval manuscripts.
Regards ............. Peter
Regards Peter Harling
IAAH Fellow

Ce Jamieson

Postby Ce Jamieson » 18 Apr 2013, 18:01

Thank you Peter. I came across one of Andy's black and white line drawings that I had never seen before. He says it isn't good but I like it. You know me I've plastered it everywhere.

http://pinterest.com/pin/429038301971560534/

I got on his nerves by uploading 23 of his black and whites to Pinterest. I'm so proud of him. Andy doesn't do black and white line drawings very often anymore. He is focusing on his fine art. I guess they aren't the most exciting things to sit and paint but like the pencil art they do show an artist's true skill. Again, you can hide a lot of mistakes with color. But when the pros look at heraldic art they see what the rest of us don't so the bare bones must be good before you put it on the market. Andy's tutor Anthony Wood taught him that, 'Drawing is the key to good heraldic art. A heraldic artist should be able to draw anything'. I visited Tony's home, sat at his desk and flipped through his portfolios last year. The photos of my visit can be seen here:

http://mylifewithandrewstewartjamieson. ... iends.html

He doesn't live far from us. I hope time will allow me to go back and visit him again soon. Some of the coats of arms he designed were so complex and what amazed me was each one was flawless. I think Anthony Wood is the greatest heraldic artist that has ever lived and if others could see his private portfolios I'm sure they would agree but only a few have. He's not one to blow his own horn. He is a very humble man. The key to his success was that he could draw. Tony would make his class do nothing but draw one day a week. He required that Andy and the rest of the class be taught on this day by a graduate of the Royal Academy.

So, if there is anyone out there who wants to become a heraldic artist I can tell you what Tony and Andy have told me is most important....learn to draw. Now, I know absolutely nothing about digital heraldry but I do like it very much. Perhaps one of our pros like Terry Sarros can speak regarding that. I've visited Terry's fan page on facebook and I do like his work.

Tomasz Steifer

Postby Tomasz Steifer » 23 Apr 2013, 23:07

Ce Jamieson wrote:(...)
So, if there is anyone out there who wants to become a heraldic artist I can tell you what Tony and Andy have told me is most important....learn to draw(...)

it's true! And not only refers to the art of heraldry, but for all types of visual arts. Jean Louis David argued that drawing is the basis of a good painting. Today, unfortunately, less and less attention to good crafts skills at educating future artists ...
regards

Tomasz Steifer
IAAH Fellow

Return to “Heraldic Art”