Some Russian Noble Arms

Heraldry of Russia
Marcus Karlsson

Some Russian Noble Arms

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 24 Jan 2015, 11:29

During the Russian Empire the Nobility of Russia as their counterparts in the rest of Europe come to use heraldry. This however as I understand was later than in other parts of Europe and as in my homecountry one can see a stongly German influence with the lesser nobility using just one helmet, titled nobility like Barons, Counts and Princes using multiple Helmets, Supporters and in case of Princes a Princely Cap and Mantling. From gerbovnik.ru som exemples:

CoA of the Noble Family Grass.

Supporters was not exculsivly reserved for the upper nobility, as can be seen in the CoA of the Noble Family Kakhovsky.

Marcus Karlsson

Re: Some Russian Noble Arms

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 24 Jan 2015, 11:55

CoA of Lazar Polyakov (1842-1914), Real State Councillor, Knight of the Order of St Vladimir 3rd Grade and Knigth of the order of St Stanislaus 1st Grade. Enobeled in 1905. The Magen David in the Crest tells of the Jewish ancestry of Polyakov which for 35 years was a leader of the Jewish Community of Moscow.

CoA of the Noble Family Khartulari.

CoA of the Noble Leibkampanez Family Rusenow. The Crest and Dexter half of the Shield is the Common Augmentation granted to the Soldiers who helped the Daughter of Peter the Great, Elisabeth (reigned 1741-62) gain the throne in a Coup-de-Etat. They where also granted the prefix Leibkampanez (that is "of the Life Company").

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 24 Jan 2015, 12:08

Prince Nikolaj of Mingrelia.

CoA of the Princes Barclay de Tolly-Weymarn.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 24 Jan 2015, 16:12

Two points strike me about Prince Nikolai of Mingrelia's arms: 1) no supporters, and 2) an eastern helmet.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Edward Hillenbrand

Postby Edward Hillenbrand » 25 Jan 2015, 01:12

Mingrelia is part of Georgia and borders Turkey, so I am sure it has something to do with that, what would be interesting know of course.
Ed Hillenbrand

"Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori"

Armorial Register - International Register of Arm

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 25 Jan 2015, 11:01

Well the use of supporters by Princely Families was optional, they could use them as the Barcaly de Tolly-Weymarn did or not as the Prince of Mingerlia did. As for the helmet in the Coat of Arms of the Prince Nikolaj of Mingerlia, the site Russian Heraldry as It is http://the.heraldry.ru/section/old_art.html wites that this was introduced by Koehne (The Baron Bernhard [Boris] director of the section for Arms of the Heraldic Department of the Russian Senate) to symbolise ancient indigenous nobility. For Princes it was Argent ardonerd Or. The site also mentions Alexander Alexandrovich Fadeyev which from 1857 and mor than three decades to come was the heraldic artist of the Armorial section of the Governing Senate’s Heraldry Office Department. So he is probably the man who have painted most of the Pictures shown here.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 25 Jan 2015, 11:24

Coat of Arms of the Counts Kotzebue. Sinister supporter is a Soldier of the 60th Zamotsje Infantry Regiment of General Adjutant Count Kotzebue.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 25 Jan 2015, 11:46

The Wrangel family, of Baltic-German origin is to be found amongst the nobility of Russia, Sweden, Prussia and Spain:

http://the.heraldry.ru/text/wrangel.html
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Edward Hillenbrand

Postby Edward Hillenbrand » 25 Jan 2015, 16:00

I LIKE the simplicity, yet powerful image these arms present. I can understand why the family uses them as their base.
Ed Hillenbrand

"Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori"

Armorial Register - International Register of Arm

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 31 Jan 2015, 03:31

Does the Grass family claim any relation to the Romanov family, I noticed a similarity in the arms.

Return to “Russian Heraldry”