Romanov Family Heraldry

Heraldry of Russia
Marcus Karlsson

Romanov Family Heraldry

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 21 Sep 2015, 19:06

The Imperial Family of Romanov hade a rather evolved heraldic system denoting status within the Family. For each member there was usualy also a Greater and a Lesser Coat of Arms.

Lesser Arms of the Emperor of Russia. Attribution Katepanomegas, Wikimedia Commons.

Lesser Arms of the Tsesarevitch (Heir to the Thorne). Attribution Katepanomegas, Wikimedia Commons.

Lesser Coat of Arms of the Emperor's Younger Sons. Attribution Katepanomegas, Wikimedia Commons.

Lesser Coat of Arms of the Daughters of the Emperor. Attribution Katepanomegas, Wikimedia Commons.

Marcus Karlsson

Re: Romanov Family Heraldry

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 21 Sep 2015, 19:16

Lesser Coat of Arms of Empress Alexandra Feodorovna (born Princess Alix of Hesse-Darmstadt). Wife of Nikolaj II, mudered by the Bolsjeviks at Jekaterinburg 1918. I think the Hessian Arms here is wrong it should bear a Sword as in the Arms of Maria Alexandrovna.

Lesser Arms of Maria Fiodorovna (born Princess Dagmar of Denmark). Wife of Alexander III and mother to Nikolaj II. She managed to escape form Russia during the Revolution, and settled in her native Denmark where she died 1928.

Lesser Arms of Empress Maria Alexandrovna (born Marie of Hesse-Darmstadt), wife of Alexander II. She died 1880.

Attribution to all pictures: Katepanomegas, Wikimedia Commons.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 21 Sep 2015, 19:21

Greater Arms of the Grandsons of the Emperor.

Lesser Arms of the Grandsons of the Emperor. Attribution Kantepanomegas.

Greater Arms of the Granddaughters of the Emperor. Attribution Kantepanomegas.

Lesser Coat of Arms of the Granddaughters of the Emperor. Attribution Kantepanomegas.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 22 Sep 2015, 06:31

I note that the males used rather fine eastern helmets. I wonder if they were intended to illustrate a particular helmet or helmets, Dmitry Donskoy's or Aleksandr Nevsky's perhaps. Interestingly such open-faced helmets were used in combat - no jousting helms for the Russians!
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 22 Sep 2015, 20:39

I don't know if it is to be someones particular helmet. But my guess it is as other helmets just generic, here of a particular Russian type. Which also could be found among the Arms of the Russian Nobility. I guess the use of this Helmet followed the upsurge of Russian Patriotism at the end of the 19th Century which also affected Army Uniforms and Flags. The Later changeing from a Prussian like pattern to a pattern precived as more Russian bearing Religious Images.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 24 Sep 2015, 19:49

Lesser Coat of Arms of the Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolaievich (1827-1892). The Anchors symbolises that he was Admiral of the Fleet of Imperial Russian Navy.

Lesser Coat of Arms of the Grand Duke Mikhail Nikolaievich (1832-1909). The Canons alludes to the Grand Duke's position as General Feldzeugmeister (Master Ordnance General).

Lesser Arms of Grand Duke Nikolai Nikolaievich (1831-1891). Son of Nikolaj I, the Axes probably alludes to the Grand Duke's position as Inspector General of the Military Engineers.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 24 Sep 2015, 19:53

A version from 1858 as used by the Grand Duke Kostantin Nikolaievich.

1858 Arms of Grand Duke Nikolai Nikolaievich.

Attribution for these pictures and those in the previous post Kantepanomegas.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 24 Sep 2015, 19:59

Arms of the Princess Catherine Yuryevskya (born Dolgorukova 1847-1922), upon morganatic marriage to Alexander II she received the title Princess Yuryevska and the arms above with clear symbolism as to the Imperial Husband.

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 04 Oct 2015, 11:48

Greater Arms of the Great Grandsons of the Emperor.

Greater Arms of the Great Granddaughters of the Emperor.

Greater Arms of the Princes of the Blood of Russia (5th Generation).

Greater Arms of the Princesses of the Blood of Russia (4th Generation).

Marcus Karlsson

Postby Marcus Karlsson » 04 Oct 2015, 11:51

Middle Imperial Arms.

Lesser Imperial Arms.

Return to “Russian Heraldry”