Romanov Family Heraldry

Heraldry of Russia
Mike_Oettle

Re: Romanov Family Heraldry

Postby Mike_Oettle » 04 Oct 2015, 17:36

While the black bordure with gold and silver lions’ heads is perhaps a strange inclusion as a mark of difference, it at least ensured that lesser members of the Tsar’s family were not easily confused, in their armorial display, with the Tsar himself and his government.
It was certainly more visible than the tiny inescutcheon bearing Frederician initials that was borne by lesser members of the Prussian (Brandenburgian) royal house.
The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
[Proverbs 14:27]

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 27 Oct 2015, 15:40

Mike_Oettle wrote:While the black bordure with gold and silver lions’ heads is perhaps a strange inclusion as a mark of difference, it at least ensured that lesser members of the Tsar’s family were not easily confused, in their armorial display, with the Tsar himself and his government.
It was certainly more visible than the tiny inescutcheon bearing Frederician initials that was borne by lesser members of the Prussian (Brandenburgian) royal house.

Actually, a border as a difference seemed quite normal to me.

Michael F. McCartney

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 27 Oct 2015, 21:51

From a British viewpoint, yes; but in the Russian context, how common were borders, and especially as brisures?
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 28 Oct 2015, 16:25

Michael F. McCartney wrote:From a British viewpoint, yes; but in the Russian context, how common were borders, and especially as brisures?

Good question, I haven't seen enough to form an educated opinion, I am not sure the differencing was used very much in Russian heraldry, but some of the few Russian arms I have seen have them.

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 14 Jan 2016, 00:20

Mike_Oettle wrote:While the black bordure with gold and silver lions’ heads is perhaps a strange inclusion as a mark of difference, it at least ensured that lesser members of the Tsar’s family were not easily confused, in their armorial display, with the Tsar himself and his government.

What inescutcheon was that?

I always thought younger members of the Prussian royal family bore the Prussian Royal Arms within a bordure compony argent and sable, at least during the days of the German Empire. That is, with the exception of the German Crown Prince, who bore the German imperial arms within a bordure gules.

Return to “Russian Heraldry”