Forms of address

General heraldry discussion forums covering all nations of the world.
Edward Hillenbrand

Forms of address

Postby Edward Hillenbrand » 13 Dec 2012, 20:26

I know this is a bit off our general topic but I have a question that maybe a lister can answer: what are the proper forms of address for medieval academics? What would a Ph.D be called? A master's holder etc? I thought it went: Learned Sir for a BA/BS, Well Learned Sir for a MA/MS and Very Well Learned Sir for a Ph.D whoever I can no long find the reference I had on this subject.

Thanx in advance for any help you can give.
Ed Hillenbrand

"Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori"

Armorial Register - International Register of Arm

steven harris

Re: Forms of address

Postby steven harris » 14 Dec 2012, 01:19

Edward Hillenbrand wrote:I know this is a bit off our general topic but I have a question that maybe a lister can answer: what are the proper forms of address for medieval academics? What would a Ph.D be called? A master's holder etc? I thought it went: Learned Sir for a BA/BS, Well Learned Sir for a MA/MS and Very Well Learned Sir for a Ph.D whoever I can no long find the reference I had on this subject.

Thanx in advance for any help you can give.

I've never heard of such a system.

The styles of "Reverend" go (high to low):
The Most Reverend
The Right Reverend
The Very Reverend
The Reverend

Perhaps an analogous system could be attempted with The Learned? I wouldn't include the Sir, per se, unless he'd been knighted, but I can see an argument being made for its use a differential.
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

Bernard Juby

Re: Forms of address

Postby Bernard Juby » 21 Apr 2022, 09:08

A bit late in the day to reply but a medical academic need not be a PhD. This is a Doctor of Philosophy and could be for a number of academic disciplines.
He or she would be styled "Dr XYZ"
Medical Practitioners are styled "Dr" as a courtesy or, if a surgeon, then "Mr" - reflecting that they were once known as Barber-Surgeons.

Return to “Heraldry”