Orders with only one surviving member?

General heraldry discussion forums covering all nations of the world.
Jonathan Webster

Orders with only one surviving member?

Postby Jonathan Webster » 25 Aug 2014, 11:52

More of a question related to orders (in general) rather than heraldry per se (nonetheless a related subject though) ; but can anyone think of any orders (whether orders of chivalry, merit, etc.) that have only one member left? I don't mean Orders like the various British Indian orders, the Order of St. Patrick, or various Royal family Orders that have only the sovereign left, I mean ones that have literally only one surviving 'ordinary' member

I can think of two:

*the Soviet Order of Victory

sole surviving member: King Michael of Romania

*the Royal family Order of George VI

Sole surviving member: Princess Alexandra of Kent

Can anyone name any more?

GSelvester

Re: Orders with only one surviving member?

Postby GSelvester » 27 Aug 2014, 04:14

The Order of the Golden Spur which is the second highest ranking Papal Order of Knighthood (after the Supreme Order of Christ which has no living members and before the Order of Pius IX) has only one living member: Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg, the former Grand Duke.

Chas Charles-Dunne

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 27 Aug 2014, 10:55

Jonathan Webster wrote:More of a question related to orders (in general) rather than heraldry per se (nonetheless a related subject though) ; but can anyone think of any orders (whether orders of chivalry, merit, etc.) that have only one member left? I don't mean Orders like the various British Indian orders, the Order of St. Patrick, or various Royal family Orders that have only the sovereign left, I mean ones that have literally only one surviving 'ordinary' member

I can think of two:

*the Soviet Order of Victory

sole surviving member: King Michael of Romania

*the Royal family Order of George VI

Sole surviving member: Princess Alexandra of Kent

Can anyone name any more?

Her Majesty is still alive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Family_Order_of_King_George_VI
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 28 Aug 2014, 20:39

True; but she's now the Sovereign of the said Order rather than a mere member.

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 29 Aug 2014, 10:04

Jonathan Webster wrote:True; but she's now the Sovereign of the said Order rather than a mere member.

Do the Royal Family orders have statutes and sovereign heads the way the more 'public' orders do? As I understand it, they are essentially personal orders, which die with the monarch concerned. The KG VI family order was succeeded by the current QE II family order in 1952.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Jonathan Webster

Postby Jonathan Webster » 30 Aug 2014, 11:27

Well; HM the Queen certainly continues to wear the Royal Family Orders of George V and George VI. Not sure about statutes; but I know for each Royal Family Order the Sovereign of the Order has a badge that is different from that of ordinary members

Jeremy Kudlick

Postby Jeremy Kudlick » 23 Sep 2014, 02:38

Jonathan Webster wrote:Well; HM the Queen certainly continues to wear the Royal Family Orders of George V and George VI. Not sure about statutes; but I know for each Royal Family Order the Sovereign of the Order has a badge that is different from that of ordinary members

According to the Monarchy's website, the Royal Family Orders are only worn by female members of the Royal Family who have been so honored by the Sovereign. Would HM really wear her a badge of her own Royal Family Order? And what of Kings - I presume then that they would not wear a badge of any Royal Family Order since they aren't females.
Jeremy Kudlick
IAAH Associate Fellow
Semper Patriam Servire Praesto

Return to “Heraldry”