College of Arms Newsletters 2020

The discussion board for all things concerning heraldry which falls under the jurisdiction of The College of Arms
Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Re: College of Arms Newsletters 2020

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 03 Nov 2020, 16:55

Chris Green wrote:
Since the newsletter reaches virtually only people who have an interest in heraldry (of whom we are prime examples!), it is hardly going to bring in much in the way of passing trade.

Nevertheless, when an partner/director/employee/Herald/Pursuivant in a business acts for or does something for that business, it can hardly be classed as being without recompense. It's good PR so its done on behalf of the business by someone with a direct roll in that business to benefit that business. It really can't be classed in the same light as the volunteers who put together newsletters for societies who gain nothing financially by the acts of the society.

York benefits financially from the profits of the College. In producing the newsletter he is acting on behalf of the College; ergo he and his masters benefit from it.
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry
http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 03 Nov 2020, 17:33

York benefits financially from the profits of the College.

I am not at all sure that that is correct. York, like all the other Heralds, receives fees for the services which he performs, plus the (very) small sum he receives as salary (£17.80 per annum). The College of Arms does not receive funds from Parliament or the Crown, except I think for any exceptional duties involved in a State occasion. Nor does the College sell anything that would accrue any great profit - a few books etc. It does receive donations and financial support from the White Lion Society and the College of Arms Foundation, but these funds go to meet the wages of support staff and day-to-day upkeep.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 04 Nov 2020, 15:53

You said it yourself:
Chris Green wrote: York, like all the other Heralds, receives fees for the services which he performs, plus the (very) small sum he receives as salary (£17.80 per annum).

No matter how meagre his remuneration, he gets paid for working at the College. It is disingenuous to state that he acts on behalf of the College without recompense. I believe that we simply see these things differently; I believe that if the College were a private limited company instead of enjoying the privilege of having a Royal Charter, it would probably have been insolvent donkeys years ago.
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry
http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 25 May 2022, 16:37

I think the low salary is misleading. At my first job, some of my coworkers were tipped, their hourly wage was just a little more than half of mine, but they made probably twice as much as me when tips were calculated. The College of Arms website has a job offer for a probationary herald and lists the salary at £35,500. That is, of course, only for the training period. After that, the heralds work in private practice in the College of Arms. It would be safe to guess that the heralds make more than £35,500 a year. However, the College of Arms has a weird structure, and I am not sure how the "private practice" work is separate from the official work. The College of Arms also employs non-heralds and possibly commissions work as well. It is then possible that a herald, in addition to receiving his salary as a herald, receives some form of payment for a task that could otherwise be done by a non herald. Thus, we don’t know if York is paid for his work on the newsletter or not.

As far as profit, the Heralds don't receive any profit in the same way an entrepreneur does (or maybe he does), but they do have a financial interest in the image of the College, and by promoting it, promote their own business. The newsletter doesn't reach as many people as a Superbowl ad, but it is much more efficient, being cheaper and more targeted.

Return to “College of Arms”