College of Arms Newsletter

The discussion board for all things concerning heraldry which falls under the jurisdiction of The College of Arms
Chris Green

College of Arms Newsletter

Postby Chris Green » 11 Jul 2012, 08:58

The CoA has a newsletter which one can subscribe to or read directly on their web-site. The back editions are available too.

http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/#newsletter
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

GJKS

Re: College of Arms Newsletter

Postby GJKS » 27 Feb 2013, 06:32

For all of you that might have been wondering what is occurring, I have received the following information from the College of Arms in response to a query that I recently sent them ...
Thank you for your e-mail of 25 February regarding the College of Arms Newsletter. Sadly this is in abeyance at present as the website is being rebuilt and a new technology introduced for the newsletter which is much more complicated and difficult to use than the old one! We do hope to being sending out newsletters as soon as possible.
Yours sincerely,
Peter O'Donoghue
York Herald
Regards,
Geoff

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 27 Feb 2013, 08:40

That is part of the explanation. When I met York Herald last he said that he sometimes has great difficulty in getting material for the newsletter from his colleagues. Also to use any material that refers to an individual's grant, approval must be obtained from that person.

While I sympathise with any Heralds who take the view that informing the general public about the work of the College is less important than heraldic and genealogical research, I consider that the College of Arms does itself a disservice by not being more open. For example, when discussing a grant of arms, the Herald could make it clear that unless the grantee specifically declines to have the blazon and an illustration published, it will appear on the College website and in its newsletter. This would obviate the need to seek approval later.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Bradley Smith

Postby Bradley Smith » 27 Feb 2013, 21:25

Thank you for posting this information. I've been wondering about the lack of newsletters from the College of Arms for a while now.

Martin Goldstraw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Goldstraw » 28 Feb 2013, 10:42

Chris Green wrote://snip// I consider that the College of Arms does itself a disservice by not being more open. For example, when discussing a grant of arms, the Herald could make it clear that unless the grantee specifically declines to have the blazon and an illustration published, it will appear on the College website and in its newsletter. This would obviate the need to seek approval later.

An excellent point. Have you put it to the College?
Martin Goldstraw
Cheshire Heraldry
http://cheshire-heraldry.org.uk

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 28 Feb 2013, 11:33

I am not sure I put it quite the way I wrote in my post, but I cetainly made the point that there are a lot of people who have a great interest in heraldry who would appreciate more information from the College. It was then that York volunteered that he did not get a great deal of help from his collegues in putting together the newsletter.

Let's wait and see what the next newsletter has to offer. Then perhaps we might start a gentle campaign for more openness. The risk as I see it is that York has the (unpaid I think) responsibility for the newsletter. If he decides not to do it because of too much criticism, then it seems unlikely that any of his collegues would take it on.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 26 Mar 2013, 17:52

Well, the new-look College of Arms website is now live and online. It looks very elegant and professional.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Iain Boyd

Postby Iain Boyd » 26 Mar 2013, 20:42

Sorry, Arthur, but, I disagree. I think the former website was much easier to get around and find things.

The pages containing the Newsletter certainly is not as user friendly.

However, the pages on new grants are more informative.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 19 Apr 2013, 19:43

The March 2013 newsletter is now up on the college website :
http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/news- ... march-2013 .
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 29 Jun 2013, 13:41

I have just received the June edition of the newsletter but all the pictures are "compressed" and invisible. I s anyone else having this problem?
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “College of Arms”