Marine Biological Association

The discussion board for all things concerning heraldry which falls under the jurisdiction of The College of Arms
Arthur Radburn

Marine Biological Association

Postby Arthur Radburn » 07 Jun 2016, 12:44

The arms of the Marine Biological Association of the UK, granted on 20 January 2016. Windsor Herald presented the LPs to them yesterday :

According to the Plymouth Herald * [a newspaper, not a hitherto unheard-of officer of arms!] :

"The new coat of arms shows the range of sea life studied by scientists at the Plymouth-based institution.

"A shark, prawn, plankton, sea horse, shells and seaweed all feature prominently and a squid is shown with its tentacles wrapped around a microscope."

Does anyone know of any other arms which feature plankton?

* http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Marine-flavour-Plymouth-scientists-new-coat-arms/story-29366212-detail/story.html
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Chris Green

Re: Marine Biological Association

Postby Chris Green » 07 Jun 2016, 13:13

I can understand why the MBA would choose a natural seahorse rather than an heraldic one but I wonder what made them plump for it facing sinister.

Looking for heraldic sea-horses I found the arms of Mr Antony J Edwards, granted in 2001. The blazon is odd, referring to the dolphins as "heraldic" (as against natural), but not the sea-horse crest.

Arms: Per fess wavy Or and Azure between in chief two heraldic dolphins naiant and in base three escallops a lymphad sail furled oars in action all counterchanged flags and pennon flying Gules.
Crest: A seahorse erect Or the dorsal fin Gules resting the sinister webbed foot on a wheel Azure.
Motto: Non Nobis Domine.

PS: The mantling of the MBA's emblazonment is frankly pathetic. There is much to be said for omitting it completely if the supporters, as here, are prominent.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “College of Arms”