Mortimer arms

The discussion board for all things concerning heraldry which falls under the jurisdiction of The College of Arms
Arthur Radburn

Mortimer arms

Postby Arthur Radburn » 20 Sep 2012, 15:27

From the College website : an interesting coat of arms, granted to judge John Barry Mortimer two months ago :
Arms: Chevronny embowed of four and per pale Azure and Argent on a Chief per pale in dexter a Bend in sinister a Bend sinister both enarched the whole counterchanged over all an Escutcheon counterchanged fimbriated Or.

Crest: On a Helm with a Wreath Argent and Azure a Chinese Lion sejant Azure armed and gorged with a Cord pendent therefrom an Annulet Or set thereon a Bauhinia Flower Gules charged with a Rose Argent barbed and seeded Or resting the sinister forepaw on a Tennis Ball Argent perched on the head a Red Grouse proper.

Badge: Set upon an Annulet Or a Bauhinia Flower Gules charged with a Rose Argent barbed and seeded Or.

I wonder if the colour scheme and the inescutcheon were inspired by the medieval Mortimer arms.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

steven harris

Re: Mortimer arms

Postby steven harris » 20 Sep 2012, 16:43

Well, the badge is very nice.

His crest is a bit busy. I like his shíshī (石獅), that is, the Chinese guardian lion, but they are almost always in pairs; he has the male, but the female is missing. I wonder what the feng shui (風水) implications of only having the one is - probably not good. The Red Grouse seems to be after-thought at best.
Steven A. Harris, Fellow
IAAH member since February 2008
https://goo.gl/btEhVg

Peter Harling

Postby Peter Harling » 20 Sep 2012, 21:00

Very interesting and eye catching shield. ............. By gum Steven....... I'm impressed!!!!
Regards ...... Peter
Regards Peter Harling
IAAH Fellow

Iain Boyd

Postby Iain Boyd » 20 Sep 2012, 21:35

Interesting, indeed!

However, I do not like the chief or the grouse, but, I do like the badge.

Iain

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 20 Sep 2012, 22:00

I'm a little surprised that the College allowed red, gold, and silver mantling when there's not a trace of red anywhere in the arms. (I don't object, I'm just surprised.)
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 20 Sep 2012, 22:55

Yes, the mantling is surprising. Perhaps the tinctures have special significance in Hong Kong (where Mortimer was formerly a judge) or in Brunei (where he is now). Even so, it's a notable departure from the usual "first colour and first metal mentioned in the blazon" formula.

A nice artistic touch is the reflection of the tinctures of the mantling in the metal of the helmet.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Return to “College of Arms”