Probationary Officer of Arms - Job Advertisement

The discussion board for all things concerning heraldry which falls under the jurisdiction of The College of Arms
Stephen J F Plowman

Probationary Officer of Arms - Job Advertisement

Postby Stephen J F Plowman » 12 Sep 2019, 11:56

Brief description
The College of Arms is seeking to recruit a new probationary officer of arms with military experience subject to a twelve-month training period. This role would suit someone with a genuine interest in British and Commonwealth history. The successful candidate will learn how to deal with heraldic and genealogical enquiries arising from members of the public and various organisations, how to process applications for new grants of arms and about other work undertaken by the College. Upon completion of this training period, the candidate will be assessed with a view to formal appointment as an officer of arms. If appointed, he or she will run an independent heraldic and genealogical practice within the College generating his or her own income.

Requirements
The role would suit a candidate with military experience, excellent research and communication skills and with a strong interest in heraldic and genealogical matters.

Essential

Good university degree
    Excellent analytical and drafting skills
    First-rate communication skills (oral and written) and approachability
    Enthusiasm, adaptability and ability to learn quickly
    Professionalism, proactive nature and ability to work independently with minimal supervision
    Ability to deal directly with members of the public
    Ability to establish a wide network of contacts.

Highly desirable

Military experience as a commissioned officer
    Knowledge and experience of heraldry and genealogy
    Knowledge of British and Commonwealth history, languages and legal matters

Probationary Officer of Arms

Stephen J F Plowman

Re: Probationary Officer of Arms - Job Advertisement

Postby Stephen J F Plowman » 12 Sep 2019, 12:01

Regrettably, I fall short due to my lack of a degree (good or otherwise). Throw in that I am 60 later this month and the College retires you at 70, it would not give me long enough to "build up a good head of steam". :(

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 12 Sep 2019, 12:30

Thank you for posting this interesting notice, Stephen.

The College is evidently doing some succession planning, with a view to Clarenceux reaching retirement age towards the end of next year, and Garter following early in 2021. Two heralds will be promoted to succeed them, two pursuivants will be promoted to herald (though not necessarily right away), and the probationer can fill one of the vacant pursuivantcies.

I wonder why the emphasis on a military commission. AFAIK, Garter usually handles the military heraldry.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 12 Sep 2019, 12:50

I wonder why the emphasis on a military commission. AFAIK, Garter usually handles the military heraldry.

I wonder if the military experience is not more to do with the College's responsibilities for ceremonial, which involves much liaison with the armed forces. Having a military/naval background would provide no special advantage in designing, say, naval badges.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Mark Henderson

Postby Mark Henderson » 12 Sep 2019, 15:14

If I were a British citizen I would consider this a great opportunity. I have a BA and MA, and I am retired military.
Regards,

Mark Anthony Henderson
IAAH Fellow : Former Design Assistance Request Team Artist

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 12 Sep 2019, 15:52

Chris Green wrote:I wonder if the military experience is not more to do with the College's responsibilities for ceremonial, which involves much liaison with the armed forces. Having a military/naval background would provide no special advantage in designing, say, naval badges.
A very good point. Given that state and royal ceremonial is usually televised, the recent appointment of a pursuivant from the world of TV design and production could also point in that direction.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 12 Sep 2019, 15:55

Mark Henderson wrote:If I were a British citizen I would consider this a great opportunity. I have a BA and MA, and I am retired military.

Anno domini, old chap. Anno domini. :mrgreen:
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Stephen J F Plowman

Postby Stephen J F Plowman » 12 Sep 2019, 16:14

I had a brief FaceBook chat with Bluemantle yesterday, he thought the retirement of William Hunt as Windsor Herald was a factor. He was, I think, the only Officer of Arms with the any military service.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 12 Sep 2019, 16:35

William Hunt was indeed a Major in the Honourable Artillery Company (and thus an infantryman).
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Stephen J F Plowman

Postby Stephen J F Plowman » 13 Sep 2019, 08:56

Chris Green wrote:William Hunt was indeed a Major in the Honourable Artillery Company (and thus an infantryman).

The HAC have a variety of roles/specialities. However, I think they would be mortified to be called mere Infantry. I speak as an Infantry Major (Rtd) who has worked with the Horrible Artillery Company. 8-)

Return to “College of Arms”