College of Arms recruiting again

The discussion board for all things concerning heraldry which falls under the jurisdiction of The College of Arms
Arthur Radburn

College of Arms recruiting again

Postby Arthur Radburn » 27 Feb 2020, 11:41

College of Arms.jpg

The College of Arms is recruiting a probationary officer of arms again. On successful completion of the 12-month probation period, he or she will be offered a permanent appointment (presumably as a pursuivant). Unlike the previous ad, last September, there is no mention of a military background being required.

Quite a few changes are looming at the College. There are already two vacant pursuivantcies, and two kings of arms will reach retirement age within the next fourteen months : Clarenceux in November 2020 and Garter in May 2021. So a few promotions should be coming up.

Interesting emblazonment of the College arms on York Herald's twitter feed. It has the name 'Collegium Armorum' below the arms, whereas the version on the College website has no name or motto at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Chris Green

Re: College of Arms recruiting again

Postby Chris Green » 27 Feb 2020, 12:21

I note that the new emblazonment has the blue a very pale shade. Some would call it bleu celeste, but it is in fact azure as the blazon states: Argent, a cross Gules (Cross of St. George) between four doves, the dexter wing of each expanded and inverted Azure; for a crest on a ducal coronet Or, a dove rising Azure; Two lions rampant guardant argent, ducally gorged or; for a motto DILIGENT AND SECRET.

Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 27 Feb 2020, 12:50

Interestingly, I note that the doves in the emblazonment appended to my previous post, and indeed those in Arthur's original post are beaked and legged gules. The blazon is presumably in error on this point.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Michael F. McCartney

Postby Michael F. McCartney » 28 Feb 2020, 06:26

I think the beaks & legs were considered relatively insignificant - surely not sufficient to constitute different arms - and thus not really necessary to specify their tincture in the written blazon.

Just my guess ..
Michael F. McCartney
Fremont, California

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 28 Feb 2020, 07:22

Unusually sloppy blazoning, but I don't know if it is the College's own or some amateur.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 28 Feb 2020, 07:37

Perhaps it was originally an exercise of artistic licence which has been followed by later artists to the point where it has become a convention.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 08 Mar 2020, 15:37

Perhaps a similar rule applies to doves as to lions in English blazoning, that beaking and membering, like arming and languing, are gules by default unless either the charge or field is gules.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Return to “College of Arms”