New kings of arms

The discussion board for all things concerning heraldry which falls under the jurisdiction of The College of Arms
Arthur Radburn

New kings of arms

Postby Arthur Radburn » 29 Apr 2021, 11:29

Changes are taking place at the highest levels of the College of Arms.

Duke arms.png

Patrick Dickinson retired as Clarenceux King of Arms a few weeks ago, and Robert Duke has been moved from Norroy & Ulster to Clarenceux to succeed him.

Noel arms.png

As expected, given the well-established principle of appointment by seniority, the longest-serving herald, Robert Noel (Lancaster), has been promoted to Norroy & Ulster.

Thomas Woodcock is due to retire as Garter very soon. David White (Somerset) is now the most senior herald, so presumably he will be promoted to king of arms. Will he move directly to Garter, or will one of the other two kings get the post? We should find out within the next month or two.

I wonder if age will be taken into account. Duke will reach retirement age (70) in 2023, White in 2031 and Noel in 2032.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Chris Green

Re: New kings of arms

Postby Chris Green » 29 Apr 2021, 12:59

It is important to bear in mind that Garter has ceremonial roles unconnected with heraldry. The choice may fall on someone outside the obvious candidates by seniority.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 29 Apr 2021, 16:22

Chris Green wrote:The choice may fall on someone outside the obvious candidates by seniority.

It may indeed. Looking at the record : of the nine Garters appointed over the past century or so :
- four were previously Norroy (or Norroy & Ulster) : Burke (1918), Wollaston (1930), Howard (1944) and Woodcock (2010)
- three were previously the most senior herald : Wagner (1961), Cole (1978), Gwynn-Jones (1995)
- two were previously the second most senior herald : Bellew (1950) and Swan (1992).

Interestingly, before the age limit was introduced, two Garters later stepped down and became provincial kings of arms :
- Sir Gerald Wollaston : Garter 1930-44, Norroy & Ulster 1944-57 (died in office)
- Sir Anthony Wagner : Garter 1961-78, Clarenceux 1978-95 (died in office).
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 03 Jul 2021, 05:58

So David Vines White has been promoted from Somerset Herald to Garter Principal King of Arms. Not so that one would know from the College of Arms! Found out about it from Lord Lyon's FB. The College's website does give Mr W as Garter, but has no announcement of the fact. One can but hope that one of his first acts will be to put some effort into PR. Publication of ALL new grants would be nice too.

Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Mark Henderson

Postby Mark Henderson » 03 Jul 2021, 14:53

I too found out via Lord Lyon. I suppose if you want information regarding the College of Arms, you only need to seek it from everywhere else than the actual College of Arms.
Regards,

Mark Anthony Henderson
IAAH Fellow : Former Design Assistance Request Team Artist

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 03 Jul 2021, 16:55

So, the tradition has been followed. As the new Garter turns sixty this year, he's looking at a reign of up to ten years. A reign which seems likely to include some major royal events in which the College will be involved.

In due course, no doubt, the most senior pursuivant (Adam Tuck, appointed Rouge Dragon two years ago) will be promoted to Lancaster Herald, and a new pursuivant will join the College.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 09 Jul 2021, 19:09

From [i]London Gazette[/] 634o8 dated 5 July 2021 :

Crown Office

THE QUEEN has been pleased by Letters Patent under the Great Seal of the Realm dated 1 July 2021, to grant unto David Vines White, Esquire, Somerset Herald of Arms, the Office of Garter Principal King of Arms, vacant by the retirement of Sir Thomas Woodcock, K.C.V.O.

Interesting choice of verb : the Queen grants him the office, rather than appointing him to it.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 09 Jul 2021, 19:54

Arthur Radburn wrote:Interesting choice of verb : the Queen grants him the office, rather than appointing him to it.

I was wondering whether the term related to the fact that the office is granted by Letters Patent. But checking with my own LPs as HM Consul in Stockholm I note that I was "nominated, constituted and appointed". It may of course be because the LPs were granted under the Great Seal of the Realm, something to which an appointment as Consul does not aspire.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 09 Apr 2022, 19:33

It may have to do with the fact that Her Majesty is acting out of her royal prerogative? I wonder then if he can take the office for granted then?

Return to “College of Arms”