Appointment of new Arundel Herald Extraordinary

The discussion board for all things concerning heraldry which falls under the jurisdiction of The College of Arms
Iain Boyd

Appointment of new Arundel Herald Extraordinary

Postby Iain Boyd » 10 May 2022, 21:49

The following is part of an account of the differences made to the State Opening of the British Parliament because of the absence of Queen Elizabeth II -

5. Female Herald

Professor Anne Curry became the first female herald to take part in the royal procession inside Westminster, having been appointed to the post of Arundel Herald Extraordinary on Monday.

The post of herald dates from medieval times when they had the dangerous task of carrying messages between opposing generals on the battlefield.

Today, however, the heralds are experts on such things as history and genealogy and provide advice on anything to do with the peerage and royal ceremonies. They also have a role in all U.K. state ceremonies and care for the vast historical archive of heraldic material gathered over the centuries.

Professor Curry, who is an expert in medieval history, is not the first woman to take part in the procession itself, as many of the Queen's Ladies in Waiting have previously accompanied her through Parliament.

Arthur Radburn

Re: Appointment of new Arundel Herald Extraordinary

Postby Arthur Radburn » 11 May 2022, 17:23

And not merely the first female herald to take part in the royal procession, but the first woman herald in English history. Only a herald extraordinary, but a first step nevertheless. I wonder who proposed her for the appointment.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 11 May 2022, 17:49

Professor Curry has had a lot to do with the College of Arms over the granting of supporters for the arms of the Worshipful Company of Fletchers (of which she was Master until a few weeks ago) and the much belated Royal Charter for the Company. Apart from that she is a well-known and highly respected medieval historian and had a lot to do with a major exhibition at the Tower of London marking 600 years since the Battle of Agincourt. She will have been well-known in College of Arms circles for many years. She doesn't, I think, have any particular background in heraldry, per se. But given her particular period of expertise she can hardly have avoided garnering a good degree of knowledge of the subject.

I should perhaps add that, as well as being acquainted with Prof. Curry slightly by reason of my being a Freeman of the Fletchers, I have metaphorically crossed swords with her twice, once regarding the provision of arrows to the archers who fought at Agincourt, and the second time regarding the range at which cannon would have been sited when attacking castles during the Hundred Years War. I fear that my arguments based on logic (archers needing regular re-supply; cannoneers needing to be far enough from castle walls not to be harried by falling shot from crosbow bolts) fell on deaf ears. Academics are singularly unmoved by arguments based on logic, relying as they do on those written and archaeological records to which they have access, inadequate though they often are.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 13 May 2022, 16:32

Hasn't there been a female herald for some time in Scotland?

Arthur Radburn wrote:And not merely the first female herald to take part in the royal procession, but the first woman herald in English history. Only a herald extraordinary, but a first step nevertheless. I wonder who proposed her for the appointment.

This might surprise me if I hadn't noticed the lack of women involved in online heraldry. Most women in heraldry seem to be either artists or interested in genealogy.

Chris Green wrote:Professor Curry has had a lot to do with the College of Arms over the granting of supporters for the arms of the Worshipful Company of Fletchers (of which she was Master until a few weeks ago) and the much belated Royal Charter for the Company. Apart from that she is a well-known and highly respected medieval historian and had a lot to do with a major exhibition at the Tower of London marking 600 years since the Battle of Agincourt. She will have been well-known in College of Arms circles for many years. She doesn't, I think, have any particular background in heraldry, per se. But given her particular period of expertise she can hardly have avoided garnering a good degree of knowledge of the subject.

I should perhaps add that, as well as being acquainted with Prof. Curry slightly by reason of my being a Freeman of the Fletchers, I have metaphorically crossed swords with her twice, once regarding the provision of arrows to the archers who fought at Agincourt, and the second time regarding the range at which cannon would have been sited when attacking castles during the Hundred Years War. I fear that my arguments based on logic (archers needing regular re-supply; cannoneers needing to be far enough from castle walls not to be harried by falling shot from crosbow bolts) fell on deaf ears. Academics are singularly unmoved by arguments based on logic, relying as they do on those written and archaeological records to which they have access, inadequate though they often are.

As far as specific expertise about heraldry, I think it is normal for heralds at the College to learn on the job, especially the things related to protocol. I think what they look for is the research skills, which a historian definitely would have.

Regarding Agincourt, didn't the archers run out of arrows? I think with cannons, the effective range of the weapon is probably the most important factor. I assume that a cannon could shoot farther than, at least, a handheld crossbow, but if that is not the case, then the cannoneers could rely on pavises and armor to reduce the danger.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 13 May 2022, 19:10

As far as specific expertise about heraldry, I think it is normal for heralds at the College to learn on the job, especially the things related to protocol. I think what they look for is the research skills, which a historian definitely would have.

Prof. Curry, like the other "Extraordinaries" is of course not a professional herald. Heralds and Pursuivants Extraordinary are royal heralds not salaried (that's a joke!) members of the College of Arms. Some are heraldists, some not. Norfolk is an expert in honours and awards; Maltravers is a retired architectural historian and librarian to the Earl Marshal; Fitzalan is Governor of Edinburgh Castle, an expert in protocol and media relations; New Zealand is adviser to the Government of NZ and to the College of Arms on heraldry as it affects NZ; not sure about Wales but he is always present when The Queen or senior members of the Royal Family visit Wales.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 14 May 2022, 11:55

So Heralds Extraordinary have no official duties other than to take part in processions? It seems to me, that even if their specialty is not heraldry specifically, that they all have a background that is related to the job of heraldry (expertise in protocol, honors or awards), and pretty much seem to be some sort of historian.

Return to “College of Arms”