The Royal Badges of the United Kingdom

The discussion board for all things concerning heraldry which falls under the jurisdiction of The College of Arms
Ryan Shuflin

Re: The Royal Badges of the United Kingdom

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 10 Jan 2013, 23:07

From the Royal website: http://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRoyalFamily/TheDukeofEdinburgh/90facts.aspx

"68. The Duke’s Standard consists of four quarters; the three lions and hearts from the Danish Royal coat of arms; the white cross on a blue background from the Greek national flag; the black and white stripes from the Battenberg coat of arms; and Edinburgh Castle from the City of Edinburgh’s coat of arms. He chose Edinburgh Castle surmounted by a Ducal Coronet and surrounded by the Garter as his ‘Badge’, and green as his ‘livery’ colour. All his cars have been painted ‘Edinburgh Green’."

GJKS

Re: The Royal Badges of the United Kingdom

Postby GJKS » 11 Jan 2013, 00:46

Jonathan Webster wrote:Regarding the House Badge of the House of Windsor; I must admit I am at something of a loss as to how it is supposed to be used. Does anyone know how it is intended to be used? Is it intended as a badge for the other members of the House of Windsor (besides HM the Queen and the Prince of Wales) who do not have badges of their own; or is it intended to represent the House as a whole; and in either case; in what circumstances?

I believe that it appears on many British Regimental Colours in one of the corners.

Regards,
Geoff

Return to “College of Arms”