An Opportunity To Own A Piece Of History

The discussion board for all things concerning heraldry which falls under the jurisdiction of The College of Arms
Chris Green

An Opportunity To Own A Piece Of History

Postby Chris Green » 17 Apr 2013, 14:26

Hand & Lock, the London embroidery firm has a unique offer:

Hand & Lock are excited to announce a unique opportunity to own a stunning piece of history – an exquisitely crafted hand-embroidered Royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom, designed exclusively for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee held on the 3rd June 2012. The embroidered coat of arms was approved by the Garter Principal King of Arms, Thomas Woodcock, giving it the utmost heraldic authenticity.

http://www.handembroidery.com/the-royal-coat-of-arms-of-the-united-kingdom/

They have been advertising it on their web-site since January so I guess interest tends to fade when people ask the price. I have asked anyway and will let you all know the result.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Chris Green

Re: An Opportunity To Own A Piece Of History

Postby Chris Green » 18 Apr 2013, 12:26

Hand & Lock quote £7,900 for it made up as a standard with a fringe. I'm not sure who would want to pay that much for a standard which they could never fly, a museum perhaps.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 18 Apr 2013, 14:51

This whole thing puzzles me. To be a piece of history, this would need to have been used in the jubilee celebrations, in which case it would belong to whoever commissioned its manufacture and wouldn't be available for Hand & Lock to sell.

Otherwise it's just a very expensive souvenir.

Am I missing another possibility?
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 18 Apr 2013, 15:34

I think the "piece of history" was Garter's particular design of the royal arms which was indeed done for the royal jubilee. The embroidery on offer seems to be a "commemorative" piece, what would be described as a "souvenir" were it a tea-pot or mug.

I quote: "Hand & Lock ... were commissioned to create this magnificent piece to commemorate Queen Elizabeth II’s Diamond Jubilee. Our artisan work on the Royal thrones and banners was shown to millions across the world as the Royal Barge travelled down the Thames in celebration of our distinguished monarch’s 60th anniversary to the accession of the throne."

So such coats of arms, embroidered by H&L, were indeed used on the Royal Barge (now chugging up and down the River Douro in Portugal), but H&L do not say that those on offer were actually on the barge.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “College of Arms”