Augmentations of Honour (General Discussion)

The discussion board for all things concerning heraldry which falls under the jurisdiction of The College of Arms
Arthur Radburn

Augmentations of Honour (General Discussion)

Postby Arthur Radburn » 05 Nov 2013, 15:52

Ryan Shuflin wrote:What about augmentations in later periods or kingdoms? or How and when they went out of style?

I wonder if they have actually gone out of style (in England, anyway). Friar's A New Dictionary of Heraldry (1987) mentions some 20th-century augmentations, i.e. to three royal physicians; the city of Cardiff; and the Rt Hon Vincent Massey (Gov Gen of Canada). The supporters granted to Capt Mark Phillips when he married Princess Anne in 1973, may possibly also count as an augmentation.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

JMcMillan

Re: Augmentations granted during and after the English Civil

Postby JMcMillan » 06 Nov 2013, 00:49

Grantees of Arms, 1687-1898 lists numerous augmentations. Just under the letter B there are:

Maj Gen Sir David Baird, 1804
Col James Stevenson Barns, 181X
William Beckford and Hamilton, 1799
William Beckford, 1810
Lt Gen Sir George Beckwith, 181X
Henry Nugent Bell, 182X (he evidently received an augmentation of the Earl of Huntingdon for a book on the earldom)
RAdm Sir Richard Bickerton, 180X
Lt Gen Sir Thomas Bowser, 182X
Capt Sir Philip B. V. Broke, Bt, 1814 (crest of augmentation, for HMS Shannon's defeat of USS Chesapeake)
Lt Gen Sir Robert Brownrigg, 1822
RAdm Sir Edward Buller, 18XX

Obviously heavy on military and naval figures, especially during the Napoleonic wars.

and so on.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Arthur Radburn

Re: Augmentations of Honour (General Discussion)

Postby Arthur Radburn » 11 Nov 2013, 08:39

Today being Remembrance / Armistice / Veterans Day, I remembered reading that, back in 1917, Rudyard Kipling had suggested a system of augmentations to be awarded to the various dominions in the British Empire, to recognise their contributions to the imperial war effort in World War I. The suggestion did not bear fruit, but it's an interesting idea all the same.

What Kipling proposed was an augmentation for each major campaign. Each dominion would marshal the appropriate augmentations on an inescutcheon, to be placed in the centre of its national arms. Aesthetically, the result would have been pretty cluttered but, I suppose, it's the thought that counts.

The text of the article, with a mockup of what the Australian arms would have looked like with the augmentation, can be found here : http://www.kipling.org.uk/heraldrie.htm . For some reason, Kipling wrote it in pseudo-17th-century style, along the lines of Guillim's Display of Heraldry.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 11 Nov 2013, 08:42

Arthur Radburn wrote:Today being Remembrance / Armistice / Veterans Day, I remembered reading that, back in 1917, Rudyard Kipling had suggested a system of augmentations to be awarded to the various dominions in the British Empire, to recognise their contributions to the imperial war effort in World War I. The suggestion did not bear fruit, but it's an interesting idea all the same.

What Kipling proposed was an augmentation for each major campaign. Each dominion would marshal the appropriate augmentations on an inescutcheon, to be placed in the centre of its national arms. Aesthetically, the result would have been pretty cluttered but, I suppose, it's the thought that counts.

The text of the article, with a mockup of what the Australian arms would have looked like with the augmentation, can be found here : http://www.kipling.org.uk/heraldrie.htm . For some reason, Kipling wrote it in pseudo-17th-century style, along the lines of Guillim's Display of Heraldry.

Not quite the same, but in a way the addition of the GC directly to the arms of Malta (instead of being suspended on its ribbon beneath the shield) accomplishes the same objective, although as an augmentation for collective valor and not mere participation.
Last edited by JMcMillan on 11 Nov 2013, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Ryan Shuflin

Re: Augmentations granted during and after the English Civil

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 11 Nov 2013, 14:57

JMcMillan wrote:Grantees of Arms, 1687-1898 lists numerous augmentations. Just under the letter B there are:

Maj Gen Sir David Baird, 1804
Col James Stevenson Barns, 181X
William Beckford and Hamilton, 1799
William Beckford, 1810
Lt Gen Sir George Beckwith, 181X
Henry Nugent Bell, 182X (he evidently received an augmentation of the Earl of Huntingdon for a book on the earldom)
RAdm Sir Richard Bickerton, 180X
Lt Gen Sir Thomas Bowser, 182X
Capt Sir Philip B. V. Broke, Bt, 1814 (crest of augmentation, for HMS Shannon's defeat of USS Chesapeake)
Lt Gen Sir Robert Brownrigg, 1822
RAdm Sir Edward Buller, 18XX

Obviously heavy on military and naval figures, especially during the Napoleonic wars.

and so on.

You don't happen to know more about these? I guess what I am wondering is what were the actual augmentations, and the process by which they were granted. I assume in most cases the heralds devised the actual augmentations, but under whose direction? Did they consist of royal badges? or by this period were they mostly landscape augmentations?

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 11 Nov 2013, 20:43

Major General David Baird (later General Sir David Baird Bt GCB) was granted: in chief within an increscent an estoile of eight points argent in allusion to the badge of the Ottoman order. He also had two crests, one of which was: a Mameluke mounted on a horse and holding in his dexter hand a scimitar all proper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_David_Baird,_1st_Baronet
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “College of Arms”