College of Arms Newsletters 2014

The discussion board for all things concerning heraldry which falls under the jurisdiction of The College of Arms
Arthur Radburn

College of Arms Newsletters 2014

Postby Arthur Radburn » 21 Mar 2014, 17:48

The first CoA newsletter for 2014 is now online at http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/news- ... march-2014 .

Some eye candy to look at among the recent grants. Two well-known names among the grantees but, alas, no blazons or illustrations for them : Sir Bruce Forsyth-Johnson CBE a.k.a. TV personality Bruce Forsyth, and Nigel Mansell CBE of Jersey, presumably the Formula One racing champion.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Ryan Shuflin

Re: College of Arms Newsletters 2014

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 22 Mar 2014, 20:58

I liked the links they provided.

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 14 Jul 2014, 19:52

The July newsletter is now up on the College website :
http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/news- ... -july-2014

What do you think of the arms granted to The Colour Group (you'll find them if you click on the link under 'Recent Grants of Arms')?
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 14 Jul 2014, 21:19

:mrgreen: :roll:

Words failed me.

Anyone want to try to blazon this .... ?
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 14 Jul 2014, 23:14

I like the one with the pigs.

Chas Charles-Dunne

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 15 Jul 2014, 09:17

Shield: Bleu Celeste a Rainbow bendwise enarched throughout proper surmounted by two Pallets Or abutting a Pile reversed in base Argent

Crest: Upon a Helm with a Wreath Argent and Bleu Celeste two Stone Step upon the lower three Tubes of Oil Paint palewise proper and upon the higher a Lion sejant affronty Gules supporting with the rear legs with the sinister forepaw a Newton's Disc the colours fading towards the centre proper in the dexter forepaw a Prism Argent the tail disposed to the sinister perched thereon a Morpho Butterfly Azure

Mantled: Gules doubled Argent

Motto: COLORIBUS VIDEAMUS
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 15 Jul 2014, 12:48

Chas Charles-Dunne wrote:Shield: Bleu Celeste a Rainbow bendwise enarched throughout proper surmounted by two Pallets Or abutting a Pile reversed in base Argent

Crest: Upon a Helm with a Wreath Argent and Bleu Celeste two Stone Step upon the lower three Tubes of Oil Paint palewise proper and upon the higher a Lion sejant affronty Gules supporting with the rear legs with the sinister forepaw a Newton's Disc the colours fading towards the centre proper in the dexter forepaw a Prism Argent the tail disposed to the sinister perched thereon a Morpho Butterfly Azure

Mantled: Gules doubled Argent

Motto: COLORIBUS VIDEAMUS

Sorry. I was so appalled by the visual enormity of the achievement that my eyes did not stray down to the blazon beneath.

Where shall I begin?

The heraldic artist seems to have given the rainbow black edges at both ends of the spectrum. Either this is poor art or someone thinks that the spectrum should include black somewhere but isn't exactly sure where. (Of course the dark band at the blue end of the spectrum may be intended to be indigo, in which case it should be between blue and violet.) The conjunction of the rainbow with the bleu celeste may be realistic in a heavenly sense but breaks the tincture convention. The pallets or appear to be pale brown, certainly nothing like the yellow of the rainbow.

The mantling seems to have been borrowed from an adolescent octopus. Mantling can take many forms, but this effort was pathetic. Given the other efforts to depict multiple colours, the mantling could have been more generous and - why not - multi-coloured.

As for the crest! Let's stack as much as we can on here lads!!
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Chas Charles-Dunne

Postby Chas Charles-Dunne » 15 Jul 2014, 13:26

It is definitely one of those achievements that you either love or you hate. Although my first impression is to be impressed with some of the innovation, I am struggling to even like the whole.
Regards
Chas
IAAH Fellow

Iain Boyd

Postby Iain Boyd » 16 Jul 2014, 04:00

Re the arms of The Colour Group - NOT the best design, although, I quite like the butterfly that has alighted on the tale of the lion in the crest.

However, what did interest me was the following -

Emblems and Enigma: The Heraldic Imagination: Patric Dickinson, Clarenceux King of Arms, spoke to this symposium on the subject of 'Symbolism in Heraldry: Mysterious or Manifest', whilst Clive Cheesman, Richmond Herald, gave a paper on 'The Heralds' Swastika'. The conference was held at the Society of Antiquaries, London on 26 April 2014.

Does anyone have any information about Clive Cheesman's talk?

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 16 Jul 2014, 05:25

Emblems and Enigma: The Heraldic Imagination: Patric Dickinson, Clarenceux King of Arms, spoke to this symposium on the subject of 'Symbolism in Heraldry: Mysterious or Manifest', whilst Clive Cheesman, Richmond Herald, gave a paper on 'The Heralds' Swastika'. The conference was held at the Society of Antiquaries, London on 26 April 2014. Does anyone have any information about Clive Cheesman's talk?

It would be nice if such esoteric lectures were filmed and put on You Tube. When one thinks of the research and expertise that goes into such lectures and then only a handful of people benefit.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “College of Arms”