Diamond Jubilee Coach

The discussion board for all things concerning heraldry which falls under the jurisdiction of The College of Arms
Arthur Radburn

Diamond Jubilee Coach

Postby Arthur Radburn » 04 Jun 2014, 10:22

Not heraldic in itself, but bearing some heraldic decorations : the Queen's new Diamond Jubilee Coach.

Interesting that the royal arms on the doors and the crests on either side of the door clearly show the 1901-52 'Tudor' crown rather than the St Edward's crown which replaced it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... story.html
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Chris Green

Re: Diamond Jubilee Coach

Postby Chris Green » 04 Jun 2014, 11:43

Interesting that the royal arms on the doors and the crests on either side of the door clearly show the 1901-52 'Tudor' crown rather than the St Edward's crown which replaced it.

As HM The Queen, shortly after her coronation, specifically asked that St Edward's Crown be used in royal and official heraldry and cyphers rather than the Tudor Crown, one wonders why the convention has been ignored in this case. It can scarcely be a mistake. Every inch of the coach would have been checked and re-checked. It is just possible though most unlikely that the painters simply copied another State Coach. The Gold State Coach of 1762 has panels depicting people and cherubs on the roof, while the Australian State Coach of 1988 uses the St Edward crown as does the Scottish. The Irish State Coach does however use the Tudor Crown, but it was built in 1851 (and apparently repainted as original when restored in 1989). Perhaps the Buckingham Palace Press Office might enlighten us.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 04 Jun 2014, 12:25

I have now spoken to the Buckingham Palace information office who tell me that the Coach was a personal initiative, entirely designed and built by Mr Frecklington without any input from from the Palace. That may formally be the case, although Mr F must have been in touch with many departments in his quest for artefacts to include in the Coach (he could not conceivably for example have used a fragment of the Stone of Destiny without high-level official approval). As a former member of staff at the Royal Mews and builder of the Australian State Coach he must surely have known the convention that Royal heraldry uses St Edward's crown. So the mystery remains. Perhaps one of our Australian members could simply ask Mr Frecklington.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

JMcMillan

Postby JMcMillan » 04 Jun 2014, 14:53

The article does say that all the heraldry was approved by the College of Arms. Strange.

In my personal opinion, the souvenir collection embedded in the vehicle is pretty kitschy. Well made kitsch, but kitsch.

And the crown-cam is definitely cheesy.
Joseph McMillan
Alexandra, Virginia, USA

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 04 Jun 2014, 15:43

The article does say that all the heraldry was approved by the College of Arms.

And there was me just looking at the pretty pictures!

So what has got into the College of Arms pray?!
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 04 Jun 2014, 19:02

Brief footage of the coach on its first official outing at the State Opening of Parliament this morning in the video on this page :
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... qus_thread
The article itself is worth a read!
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 06 Jun 2014, 23:28

I do not think that it is a big difference to use the Tudor crown.

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 07 Jun 2014, 06:16

Ryan Shuflin wrote:I do not think that it is a big difference to use the Tudor crown.

Her Majesty was clearly of another opinion, since it was she who gave instructions to make the change.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Ryan Shuflin

Postby Ryan Shuflin » 11 Jun 2014, 00:52

Chris Green wrote:
Ryan Shuflin wrote:I do not think that it is a big difference to use the Tudor crown.

Her Majesty was clearly of another opinion, since it was she who gave instructions to make the change.

It is a major error in that, Her Majesty has shown preference for one design, but I don't think it was a large enough mistake to cause the College of Arms to demand it be repainted. The Irish harp also appears to be of the older design, as that was also changed by Queen Elizabeth.

Here is a close up of the arms:

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 11 Jun 2014, 08:58

Ryan: Your picture depicts the 1902 State Landau. It is an open carriage, quite unlike the Diamond Jubilee State Coach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1902_State_Landau
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “College of Arms”