Borough of Ballymena

The discussion board for all things concerning heraldry which falls under the jurisdiction of The College of Arms
J. Carchrie Campbell

Borough of Ballymena

Postby J. Carchrie Campbell » 24 Oct 2014, 13:34

I grew up in the Borough of Ballymena where the Coat of Arms of the Borough is Azure Seven Towers Or.
But now the Borough Council is using the following:

Is this allowed? What could be done about this?
M. John P.B. Carchrie Campbell
IAAH Associate Fellow

Arthur Radburn

Re: Borough of Ballymena

Postby Arthur Radburn » 24 Oct 2014, 14:32

J. Carchrie Campbell wrote:But now the Borough Council is using the following:

It would be interesting to know whether the yellow and blue strip above the arms is actually a chief that has been added to the existing shield, or a decorative feature that has been placed above it. If it's a decorative feature, then the arms themselves are not affected.

If it's a chief that's been added to the arms, though, that would be a different matter, depending on whether the Chief Herald has authorised it, or whether it's self- assumed. If the former, no problem. If the latter, the CHI might not be happy if she finds out about it, but can she actually do anything? She has the power to grant arms, but I don't know that she has any power to enforce rules.
Regards
Arthur Radburn

J. Carchrie Campbell

Postby J. Carchrie Campbell » 24 Oct 2014, 14:47

Arthur Radburn wrote:

It would be interesting to know whether the yellow and blue strip above the arms is actually a chief that has been added to the existing shield, or a decorative feature that has been placed above it. If it's a decorative feature, then the arms themselves are not affected.

If it's a chief that's been added to the arms, though, that would be a different matter, depending on whether the Chief Herald has authorised it, or whether it's self- assumed. If the former, no problem. If the latter, the CHI might not be happy if she finds out about it, but can she actually do anything? She has the power to grant arms, but I don't know that she has any power to enforce rules.

As far as the image goes it appears to be a chief added to the arms, which is why I ask. Secondly, I do not believe it has anything to do with the Chief Herald of Ireland as Ballymena is in Northern Ireland, under the authority of the College of Arms.
M. John P.B. Carchrie Campbell
IAAH Associate Fellow

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 24 Oct 2014, 16:55

Arthur Radburn wrote:

As to whether anything can be done, I would recommend a letter of enquiry to the Town Clerk. A Freedom of Information Act enquiry would I believe require the Borough Council to produce any relevant Council documents.

Mr R McKnight
Acting Town Clerk
Ballymena Borough Council
'Ardeevin'
80 Galgorm Road
Ballymena
BT42 1AB

T: 0844 544 7640 or 02825 660300

As to Arthur's egregious error in thinking that Ballymena is in the Republic, I just hope for your sake that no UDA members follow this Forum too closely.
Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Arthur Radburn

Postby Arthur Radburn » 24 Oct 2014, 18:37

Thanks you for pointing out the true location of Ballymena. Geography has never been one of my strong points!

I would then amend the second paragraph of my reply to read :

"If it's a chief that's been added to the arms, though, that would be a different matter, depending on whether Norroy & Ulster King of Arms has authorised it, or whether it's self- assumed. If the former, no problem. If the latter, N&U might not be happy if he finds out about it, but can he actually do anything? He has the power to grant arms, but I don't know that he has any power to enforce rules.

As to Arthur's egregious error in thinking that Ballymena is in the Republic, I just hope for your sake that no UDA members follow this Forum too closely.
Is that the Union of Dedicated Armorists? :)
Regards
Arthur Radburn

Chris Green

Postby Chris Green » 25 Oct 2014, 11:09

Is that the Union of Dedicated Armorists?

If there are heraldic links, on the one hand they would be (obliquely) to the surcoat and on the other to the right hand.

Chris Green
IAAH President

Bertilak de Hautdesert

Return to “College of Arms”